Best Buy, Walmart Team to Form Google Wallet Competitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I see a format war brewing. Anyone remember the HD DVD vs Blu-ray war?[/citation]

blu ray won because of the ps3, even though some hddvds are higher quality than bluray, the thing being an example.

but this, screw Best Buy and Walmart, neither of them are good, and i would rather deal with google than walk into their stores if i have any other alternatives.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
Right. Let me guess, those with the Google wallet will go there looking to purchase something and Walmart will say "Sorry, we do not accept that - BUT - you can get this, its the same thing! FOR A SMALL FEE"

I'll just stick with plastic. I'm already paying monthly fees for my bank, I don't feel like paying more for some app that does the same thing.

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
I don't understand, if not Google's Android then what, iPhones? While I will acknowledge their popularity means they have numbers to back them up, all they have is bluetooth, GPS, 3.5G, and WiFi. Do they expect to build this thing off WiFi? Because that seems like a powderkeg solution to me (range is too big, gives hackers more room to work with).

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I see a format war brewing. Anyone remember the HD DVD vs Blu-ray war?[/citation]
What about VHS vs Betamax? Wait, did I just show my age? Umm... never mind.

[citation][nom]PTNLemay[/nom]I don't understand, if not Google's Android then what, iPhones? While I will acknowledge their popularity means they have numbers to back them up, all they have is bluetooth, GPS, 3.5G, and WiFi. Do they expect to build this thing off WiFi? Because that seems like a powderkeg solution to me (range is too big, gives hackers more room to work with).[/citation]
It will be NFC (near field communications) which will soon be found in most google, windows, and possibly future iPhones. It is a neat local tech good for passing allong small bits of information, but I am more interested in it as a way to do secure file sharing than a wallet. While tech like this seems interesting (I would be less likely to make purchases when seeing my balance on my phone than just pulling out the blank plastic), I simply do not trust phone tech yet for such data.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Great... so we have one from the Cellphone ISPs...we have one for banks, we have one from Google, and we now have one from Best Buy and Walmart... This is stupid.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]LordConrad[/nom]What about VHS vs Betamax? Wait, did I just show my age? Umm... never mind.[/citation]

Talking about age, How about AC vs DC :bounce:

While I don't like Google nor its privacy issue-ridden Wallet, I don't like having multiple "standards" fencing in its share of the market.

What we really need is a global standard, not set by a single corporation, that's secure and compliant with the strictest privacy laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.