[SOLVED] Best cable connection for monitor?

Jul 29, 2020
Im new to the whole PC thing - coming over from consoles so sorry for pathetic questions or incorrect terms.

I am in the process of building a PC and am curious about what monitor to get and the best way to connect it.

My GPU is a EVGA KO Ultra RTX 2060. The outputs are Displayport, DVI-D and HDMI. I am looking at 144hz monitors but could settle for 120hz. What are my options for connecting a monitor and what is the best of those options? I am reading different things about what HDMI is capable of with higher refresh rates. Also how does all this work with sound?

Solution
It's really up to what the monitor can use. 144hz means little without res. All can do 1080p/144 so are equal there but you don't typically see dvi used anymore. You don't see 120hz monitors anymore either. If you want sound, it's hdmi or dp. Monitor speakers still suck so I wouldn't care about this. Any modern monitor can use either hdmi 2.0 or dp for 2k/144. One is not better than the other. Use what the gpu and monitor both have.
It's really up to what the monitor can use. 144hz means little without res. All can do 1080p/144 so are equal there but you don't typically see dvi used anymore. You don't see 120hz monitors anymore either. If you want sound, it's hdmi or dp. Monitor speakers still suck so I wouldn't care about this. Any modern monitor can use either hdmi 2.0 or dp for 2k/144. One is not better than the other. Use what the gpu and monitor both have.

Solution