best camcorder for under $500

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

hi,

could anyone recommend a good camcorder? i'm looking for one in the
price range of $500 or less

thanks

rs

xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
> hi,
>
> could anyone recommend a good camcorder? i'm looking for one in the
> price range of $500 or less
>
> thanks

www.camcorderinfo.com has many good camcorder reviews. Good place to start.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

thanks for the reply

i'm looking for a decent camcorder for recreational purposes, i.e.
travel, outdoor activities, etc...

i think i need it to be compact, long battery running time, reliable,
and good built quality, and my budget is around $500. what's the best
camcorder to fit into above criterion is what i want

On 9 Sep 2005 23:38:21 -0700, xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:

>thanks for the reply
>
>i'm looking for a decent camcorder for recreational purposes, i.e.
>travel, outdoor activities, etc...
>
>i think i need it to be compact, long battery running time, reliable,
>and good built quality, and my budget is around $500. what's the best
>camcorder to fit into above criterion is what i want

If someone already has suggested this, my apologies. Anyway, check
out the new Sanyo VPC-C5. Here's a review at Steve's Digicams:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/c5.html

In addition to MPEG4 videos, it also take 5 megapixel stills. If you
shop around you should be able to find it in your price range.

Good luck!

Hal Lowe

http://www.halogos.com (logo t-shirts, mugs, etc.)
(make sure to check out the digiphoto t-shirts)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/photo.html (digiPhoto)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/music.html (Music Central)
http://www.1and1.com/?k_id=7391019 (web hosting)
http://www.halowe-graphics.com/tinc?key=0TmhZVQ5&formname=web_email

"Hal Lowe" <hallowe@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 9 Sep 2005 23:38:21 -0700, xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >thanks for the reply
> >
> >i'm looking for a decent camcorder for recreational purposes, i.e.
> >travel, outdoor activities, etc...
> >
> >i think i need it to be compact, long battery running time, reliable,
> >and good built quality, and my budget is around $500. what's the best
> >camcorder to fit into above criterion is what i want
>
> If someone already has suggested this, my apologies. Anyway, check
> out the new Sanyo VPC-C5. Here's a review at Steve's Digicams:
>
> http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/c5.html

The camera compresses to mpeg4 on the fly, resulting in poorer quality video
than you'd get from a miniDV machine. In addition, the resulting video
can't be edited, with re-transcoding to some other format -- certainly none
of the "mainstream" editors can handle mpeg4. Add to that the fact that,
judging from the lens size, the sensors must be microscopic and of
ridiculously high-density, and it's going to have horrendous low-light
performance.

xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
> thanks for the reply
>
> i'm looking for a decent camcorder for recreational purposes, i.e.
> travel, outdoor activities, etc...
>
> i think i need it to be compact, long battery running time, reliable,
> and good built quality, and my budget is around $500. what's the best
> camcorder to fit into above criterion is what i want

Stick with minidv, unless your top consideration is quick and easy. The
Mpg4, or minidisk units will compress your video into a dvd ready
format, which tends to make it more difficult to do any detailed editing.

But again, if your NOT wanting to do any detailed editing, perhaps just
quick cutting and or titles, these new units might fit your needs. But
overall, miniDV units will are the most flexible.

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

Minidv is tape format, right?

i'm a novice as of camcorders, i think i saw this mini tape format
before, how does this being played in VHS recorder? it's too small to
fit in

also, from what i researched, it seems that low-light recording is a
big problem for many types of camcorders, is it possible to find a
camcorder capable of doing recording in low-light condition for under
$500?

one more question:
what's the typical battery life time for the camcorder? can the
camcorder be charged using both 110v and 220v AC? i'm asking this
because i plan to have a vacational trip to asia by the end of the
year. and i want to make sure whatever camcorder i'm getting is
compatible with 220v AC used by most asian countries.

thanks

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

xiongnu wrote ...
> Minidv is tape format, right?

Correct. DV tapes come in two sizes, and "mini-DV" is the
smaller size which most small camcorders use.

> i'm a novice as of camcorders, i think i saw this mini
> tape format before, how does this being played in VHS
> recorder? it's too small to fit in

VHS recorders will play only VHS tapes. Not DV, not
mini-DV, not 8mm or Hi-8 or D8 or Beta or any other
kind of tape format.

But then VHS is a dying format, replaced by DVD mostly.

> also, from what i researched, it seems that low-light
> recording is a big problem for many types of camcorders,
> is it possible to find a camcorder capable of doing
> recording in low-light condition for under $500?

Maybe. You will need to research the camera reviews to
find something that has good low-light performance AND
under $500. Such a thing MAY not even exist.

> one more question:
> what's the typical battery life time for the camcorder?

There are too many different camcorders and batteries to
come up with a "typical" number. I would not buy any
camcorder that wouldn't at least shoot a whole (1 hour)
tape with a single battery. For many camcorders, there
are both OEM and 3rd party batteries that offer extra
capacity

> can the camcorder be charged using both 110v and
> 220v AC? i'm asking this because i plan to have a
> vacational trip to asia by the end of the year. and i
> want to make sure whatever camcorder i'm getting is
> compatible with 220v AC used by most asian countries.

Most camcorders come with power supplies/chargers
that run on 100-240 V @ 50 or 60 Hz. Because they
are switching supplies, they are designed to handle the
wide range of international mains power. However
never buy something without confirming this for the
item you are buying.

rs

xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
> Minidv is tape format, right?
>
> i'm a novice as of camcorders, i think i saw this mini tape format
> before, how does this being played in VHS recorder? it's too small to
> fit in

Yes, its the little DV tapes. No, they won't play in a VHS. If you
require VHS, then you would need to hook up the video and audio output
cables to your camera, hook the other ends to the inputs on your VHS,
make sure your VHS is set to record the input from that source and then
press play and record on camera and VHS. (VHS! My god man, you can get a
cheap DVD player at Kmart for $40!)

> also, from what i researched, it seems that low-light recording is a
> big problem for many types of camcorders, is it possible to find a
> camcorder capable of doing recording in low-light condition for under
> $500?

Probably not. The size of the 'chip', which is the light sensitive
component in the camera is usually proportional to the cost of the
camera. I have an older Sony TRV320 which does better in low light than
my more expensive GS200. But better is a relative term. A gloomy indoor
setting will give me a viewable, but rather grainy picture.

> one more question:
> what's the typical battery life time for the camcorder? can the
> camcorder be charged using both 110v and 220v AC? i'm asking this
> because i plan to have a vacational trip to asia by the end of the
> year. and i want to make sure whatever camcorder i'm getting is
> compatible with 220v AC used by most asian countries.

Maaaaan don't be one of those annoying camcorder tourists!

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

thanks

for your last comment:
i don't know what domain your creative mind has ventured into, but
that's certainly not the case here

i've bought a 70-210mm f4 camera lens to go with my minolta maxxum 5
camera, having a camcorder will complete my traveling set for
sightseeing and touring in eastern asian countries

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

ok thanks

it sounds similar my IBM thinkpad computer, running on 100-240v AC
input with its supplied adapter

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,rec.video (More info?)

thank you

if not through VHS, then how do i playback these miniDV tapes? is
there a miniDV player or sth?

i have read reviews on different camcorders, and found Panasonic
PV-GS35 MiniDV Camcorder w/30x Optical Zoom generally received good
reviews, amazon.com has it for
$458.94, do you think this is a good choice?

here's the highlights of the features:

Features of the Panasonic PV-GS35:

Compact design
Still picture capability
SD slot
30x optical zoom
LED light
Color viewfinder
1000x digital zoom
Electronic image stabilization
3 hour battery
USB 2.0 high speed
Motion DV Studio video editing software for PC

xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
> and i want to make sure whatever camcorder i'm getting is
> compatible with 220v AC used by most asian countries.

The power supplies typically run on 100-240 volts AC input. You just
need the plug adapter for the location.

-Bill

xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
> thank you
>
> if not through VHS, then how do i playback these miniDV tapes? is
> there a miniDV player or sth?

a) Use the camera as you would a VCR connecting it to the TV.
b) record them to your VCR (as mentioned)
c) record them to a DVD recorder (probably the best)
d) use the camera's firewire out (I'd not buy a camera without 1394) to
transfer the recording to your computer where it can be edited (if you
wish) and then burned to a DVD.

-Bill

Captain Slick wrote:

> xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
> > thank you
> >
> > if not through VHS, then how do i playback these miniDV tapes? is
> > there a miniDV player or sth?
>
> a) Use the camera as you would a VCR connecting it to the TV.
> b) record them to your VCR (as mentioned)
> c) record them to a DVD recorder (probably the best)
> d) use the camera's firewire out (I'd not buy a camera without 1394) to
> transfer the recording to your computer where it can be edited (if you
> wish) and then burned to a DVD.
>
> -Bill

You can play your tapes back right from your camera.

Or play from your camera into the new Sony VRD -VC10
(stand alone) DVD burner (about $199-$250) for excellent
results and you won't need a computer.

If you ever tape something newsworthy, you can use a
MiniDV to DVPro adapter to transfer directly to news (TV stations)
media tape machines. I do it all the time with my DCRVX-2100
MiniDV camera. (List $3100).

KM

<xiongnu@my-deja.com> wrote in message
> thank you
>
> if not through VHS, then how do i playback these miniDV tapes? is
> there a miniDV player or sth?

There are miniDV decks, but they're very expensive. Most non-European Union
miniDV camcorders will play back like a VCR -- they have video adn audio
outputs, and you just plug them into your television.

However, many people capture the video to their computer, edit it, add
titles and effects, and then burn it to DVD.

> i have read reviews on different camcorders, and found Panasonic
> PV-GS35 MiniDV Camcorder w/30x Optical Zoom generally received good
> reviews, amazon.com has it for
> $458.94, do you think this is a good choice?

I don't know enough about it, sorry.

> here's the highlights of the features:
>
> Features of the Panasonic PV-GS35:
>
> Compact design
> Still picture capability
> SD slot
> 30x optical zoom
> LED light
> Color viewfinder
> 1000x digital zoom
> Electronic image stabilization
> 3 hour battery
> USB 2.0 high speed
> Motion DV Studio video editing software for PC

AnthonyR

<poboxdc@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> Captain Slick wrote:
>>
>> xiongnu@my-deja.com wrote:
>> > thank you
>> >
>> > if not through VHS, then how do i playback these miniDV tapes? is
>> > there a miniDV player or sth?
>>
>> a) Use the camera as you would a VCR connecting it to the TV.
>> b) record them to your VCR (as mentioned)
>> c) record them to a DVD recorder (probably the best)
>> d) use the camera's firewire out (I'd not buy a camera without 1394) to
>> transfer the recording to your computer where it can be edited (if you
>> wish) and then burned to a DVD.
>>
>> -Bill
>
> You can play your tapes back right from your camera.
>
> Or play from your camera into the new Sony VRD -VC10
> (stand alone) DVD burner (about $199-$250) for excellent
> results and you won't need a computer.
>
> If you ever tape something newsworthy, you can use a
> MiniDV to DVPro adapter to transfer directly to news (TV stations)
> media tape machines. I do it all the time with my DCRVX-2100
> MiniDV camera. (List $3100).
>
> KM

Also if it real newsworthy, they can play anything on tv news, CNN was
showing videocaptured on people's cell phones!
Can you imagine the poor video quality of a cell phone being broadcast on
nationwide news?
They cropped it with a black border and cleaned it up as best they could but
you still seen compression effects big time,
but if newsworthy, who cares!
:)

AnthonyR.