Best Capture Card $ Can Buy

recklessabandon

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2005
Okay, I'm looking for some advice on THE best capture card that you can buy to capture analog video.

The determining factor in my mind should be the quality of the capture. Frankly, I'm not interested in recording live TV with the card, but rather convert vhs, 8mm, hi-8, etc tapes to digital. It can be an internal or external card. So if cost was not an obstacle which capture card would you buy for this task?

Absolutely avoid the Pinnacle external Deluxe range. Great connectivity (composite, S-Video, USB2, L/R Audio), but it's notorious for freezing every 20 minutes. Read the forums on the Pinnacle website and you'll see just how many people are tearing their hair out trying to make a very expensive product work.

I had one for 4 month and it was a nightmare. Great video and audio quality, but utterly unreliable.

:eek: I'm the good time that was had by all :eek:

pat

Expert
Does this capture module has its own power source or rely on the power from the USB port?

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

It has its own power source. Incidentally, I've heard that a possible reason for the constant freezing is that the supplied power source is inadequate or is of poor quality, i.e. voltages fluctuate.

:eek: I'm the good time that was had by all :eek: