Best car with V6 engine for fuel economy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 23, 2020
I think the best you'll get from a V6, gas mileage-wise, is a Camry XLE V6 which I believe is at a combined 26 or 27 mpg. It's not a segment you typically go into for good gas mileage.
Is this car you specified reliable? Will it constantly break down? I did some research, Toyota's are expensive when it comes to parts and repairs.

Reactions: Jenkins Jose

USAFRet

Titan
Any market. Any type of car. V6 engines last longer than 4 cylinder engines. I have done plenty of research.
"Any market"
What is available in Bulgaria may not be available in Boston.

"Any type"
2 door, 4 door, SUV, other?

"last longer"
My 13 year old Mini Cooper, or my wifes 14 year old Subaru may have issues with that.
Or her previous Saturn, that was 22 yrs old before it died.

"plenty of research"
Please...share with the rest of us.

Jun 23, 2020
"Any market"
What is available in Bulgaria may not be available in Boston.

"Any type"
2 door, 4 door, SUV, other?

"last longer"
My 13 year old Mini Cooper, or my wifes 14 year old Subaru may have issues with that.
Or her previous Saturn, that was 22 yrs old before it died.

"plenty of research
Please...share with the rest of us.
US market. Preferably private party sellers.
I would prefer a 4 door sedan.
Well my mother told me to try and get a 6 cylinder car with a 3.0L engine. I currently have a 2002 Mercury Sable GS with a 3.0L V6 engine and it has 134,200 miles on it. I have crashed it 3 times and it is still running.

USAFRet

Titan
US market. Preferably private party sellers.
I would prefer a 4 door sedan.
Well my mother told me to try and get a 6 cylinder car with a 3.0L engine. I currently have a 2002 Mercury Sable GS with a 3.0L V6 engine and it has 134,200 miles on it. I have crashed it 3 times and it is still running.
"private party sellers"
You're looking for new or used?

The above mentioned Toyota Camry is at or near the top of a very short list.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, you should start with the cars that are available if you're not buying new.

The V6-V4 reliability makes zero sense to care about if you're shopping for a reliable car. You want to be caring about things like age of car, make, year, maintenance history, usage are far far more important. As long as the car is properly designed, i.e. not a little V4 in a giant truck, there's no reason to care about it in terms of reliability.

phaelax

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2013

Why does your mother think a 3L V6 is what you should get? Ignore her. You've crashed your existing car 3x so I think you should focus on a safety ratings for your next vehicle, like a volvo.

26/27mpg is hardly the best you'll find from a 6-cyl engine. My bmw 325i got 30mpg, and at 170k miles (when I finally sold it) all I ever had to fix on it was a starter. Even had a '99 grand prix that got 29 hwy. Toyotas aren't expensive to repair, and a camry is probably an economical choice. And if you don't mind a diesel there's plenty of 30+ options. There's even a V6 mustang that gets 30mpg. An avalon hybrid is a nice vehicle. The new hyundai ioniq is actually rather nice, and for $25k brand spanking new you'll get 50+ mpg.

But without any kind of budget, I can't make any specific recommendations.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
What type of car would be good for fuel economy and has a V6 engine?
Just bought this for my wife, I don't trust used cars so I buy NEW.
View: https://imgur.com/a/E6k8xNx

Right at 16K for the 2020 model, fully loaded , power everything but the seats for some reason, back-up grid camera, on-star, WIFI hot spot not a 6 CYL but a small turbo 4 cyl it has a bunch of sport in the performance when you need it 6 speed auto.

Smaller car but not small like a clown car LOL. Has a lot of room inside.

2020 Chevy Sonic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jenkins Jose
Status
Not open for further replies.