[SOLVED] Best Card For 240 Watt PSU Please Help

Feb 8, 2021
Hello, everyone.

I have a computer that I want to output 4k 60hz to a 50 inch 4K TV. What is the absolute best card I can get to achieve this with a 230 watt PSU?

I have read about the 750ti, but I didn't know if there was something better out there? Will I have to sacrifice anything with this card? I won't be playing games that came out in the last 10 years. Browsing and YouTube will be happening. Thanks so much.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

In all honesty there's no GPU that you can drop into a system that is limited by a 240W proprietary prebuilt. Make and model of your prebuilt machine? You're likely going to ruin your investments on a new GPU or worse, that the PSU might blow up and cause a fire(not kidding).

If the system is not a prebuilt, parse the full specs of the system in question.

Feb 8, 2021
Thanks for the reply. It is a prebuilt, sadly enough. I guess I'm looking for the cheapest solution, since I dont need to do anything with high demands.

Is there a prebuilt I can specifically look for that would have a good enough card?

Could I drop a 300 or 320 watt PSU in? If so, what would be my best option, then?

Last edited:

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
There is a GT 1030 you can probably drop in without concern (uses about 30 watts, @ half the wattage of the 750 TI ), should be able to do 4k @ 60 FPS - not a gaming card though.

GeForce GT 1030 | Specifications | GeForce (nvidia.com)

Nvidia GeForce GT 1030 graphics cards - Perfect for low cost budget 4K HTPC (kodi.tv)

Without knowing more, you might want to find one that has the SFF (small form-factor) bracket and a fan - we don't know what kind/size of case you have or the airflow.

Passive cards are quieter, but could get warm if there is not enough airflow.

Feb 8, 2021
Update

So I actually looked inside the case, instead of going off what I saw online. It says 320 watts. So, I guess I have more options? What is my highest performance option, based off of that?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I know of no tv's that have displayport connections, only hdmi.
EVGA GTX750ti will indeed run 4k@60hz when using displayport; I am doing exactly that.
I got only 4k@30hz with hdmi.
I did not check into the possible lower quality hdmi cable as a cause.

If you have a graphics card with hdmi 2.0 or better, a tv that supports hdmi 2.0 input and a premium hdmi cable,
I think you can make it work.

Feb 8, 2021
I know of no tv's that have displayport connections, only hdmi.
EVGA GTX750ti will indeed run 4k@60hz when using displayport; I am doing exactly that.
I got only 4k@30hz with hdmi.
I did not check into the possible lower quality hdmi cable as a cause.

If you have a graphics card with hdmi 2.0 or better, a tv that supports hdmi 2.0 input and a premium hdmi cable,
I think you can make it work.
So you are saying that if I use a DisplayPort to HDMI cable, and go from computer to TV, I might only get 30Hz?

Feb 8, 2021
Yes, performance will be limited by the slowest part of the chain.
I think that will be the TV unless it has hdmi 2.0 input capability.
What is the make/model of your TV?

It's the M50Q7-H1. Only 2 months old. Would I still be limited to 30HZ?

I could just get a gtx 1050 2gb, it looks like, if that will resolve the issue.

Last edited:
The hdmi part will be the more restrictive thn the dp part, so I see no benefit in a dp to hdmi cable.
In fact, such a cable may do even worse.If you are thinking about playing games at 4k resolution, you need a much stronger card.
Check some benchmarks for the games you want to play.
Some relatively static games like civ 4 will be ok.
Fast action games will be disappointing.
GT1030 is about the least card that is considered to be for gaming.
I doubt you can generate frames in a game as fast as 30fps at 4k.

A pre built will not likely support anything stronger than a GTX150ti or perhaps a GTX1650.

Feb 8, 2021
The hdmi part will be the more restrictive thn the dp part, so I see no benefit in a dp to hdmi cable.
In fact, such a cable may do even worse.If you are thinking about playing games at 4k resolution, you need a much stronger card.
Check some benchmarks for the games you want to play.
Some relatively static games like civ 4 will be ok.
Fast action games will be disappointing.
GT1030 is about the least card that is considered to be for gaming.
I doubt you can generate frames in a game as fast as 30fps at 4k.

A pre built will not likely support anything stronger than a GTX150ti or perhaps a GTX1650.

With the 750ti, is isnt HDMI 2.0, and therefore, I believe you must use displayport to get 4k 60hz and go to the TVs HDMI port.

However, if you get a card with HDMI 2.0, you dont need an adapter. Even the GTX 1050 is like 120 or 130 on Ebay, though.

Gt 1030 might work ok for what I need. I'm not going to be doing any titles from the last decade. I'm going to play 1 game from 20 years ago, and use 4K when browsing. Seems like a lot of people bash the GT 1030, though.