Best card for an AMD 2600+ with 1gb ram?

Hi,

I am looking at getting a new video card for my AMD 2600+ with 1gb ram.
I don't want to get a card that is too powerful and hence my processor
will end up being the bottle neck.

Can someone recommend a card which will give me the maximum performance
with my current set up?

Thanks

Dragoncarer wrote:
> Yup. I used to have a 2600+ and an ATI 9600XT. They're only AUD100 nowadays,
> and still pump out plenty of power. You can easily run Doom 3 and HL2 with
> pretty good settings.
>
> Since I got my new setup, I gave that card to my brother. He loves it. He
> had an 9600SE and the difference, he says, along with 1GB RAM instead of
> 512, is major.
>
> I'm also recommending the card to a friend of mine who wants good
> performance at a low cost.
>
> No, it's not nVidia, but it's a really good card.

I was thinking more along the lines of a 6600GT. They're about $260 for
a 256mb AGP version. Check out this site: http://au.pricespy.biz/

Do you think this chip will be too powerful for my computer and hence I
will not be able to get the maximum use of it?

Anthony wrote:
> The 2600 is still a powerful CPU anything like the 6800 should go good wtih
> it

So the 6600GT should be fine?

Anthony

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

yup before I upgraded to an AMD 64 my processor was an AMD 2600 xp and it
loved my 6600 gt.

On 12 Sep 2005 21:56:23 -0700, rod_gordon2003@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

>Anthony wrote:
>> The 2600 is still a powerful CPU anything like the 6800 should go good wtih
>> it
>
>So the 6600GT should be fine?

I got told my AMD XP2800+ would bottleneck on my 6600GT. I still
brought it anyway and low and behold i jumped from 20fps to 60fps in
WOW after increasing the rez all the way up and aswell as the
graphical settings ....
verry happy chap i am ,,, would have been kicking myself if i hadn't
:D

Nvidia 6600GT, they start around $130, after rebate.

<rod_gordon2003@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am looking at getting a new video card for my AMD 2600+ with 1gb ram.
> I don't want to get a card that is too powerful and hence my processor
> will end up being the bottle neck.
>
> Can someone recommend a card which will give me the maximum performance
> with my current set up?
>
> Thanks

Yes, 6600GT