[SOLVED] Best card for an Odyssey G9

Dec 6, 2021
I just got my new Odyssey G9 yesterday. I'm currently running it on an EVGA GTX 1060 6GB. What should I get to take advantage of the full 240hz at full res?

Follow up question: how long do you think till current card prices drop due to supply chain issues? Is it worth waiting?

Solution
What should I get to take advantage of the full 240hz at full res?
what resolution do you plan on using,
what games,
what settings do you plan on using in these games?

if you're just doing basic browsing or media then the graphics card has nothing to do with the resolution & the refresh rate.
this only pertains to gaming, streaming, etc.
how long do you think till current card prices drop
prices are not high due to shortages.
prices are high due to jerk scalpers charging insane prices.

you will still see cards at MSRP coming & going from online retailers and chains like Best Buy & MicroCenter.
just actually getting yourself into a queue for one, getting checked out before someone else purchases, or getting into a store...
That monitor resolution and Hz is going to push even the very best gpu’s when gaming. Therefore get the best gpu your budget allows.

As for when gpu prices will come back to something vaguely normal is completely unknown. Some are even saying it might not be until 2023.

What should I get to take advantage of the full 240hz at full res?
what resolution do you plan on using,
what games,
what settings do you plan on using in these games?

if you're just doing basic browsing or media then the graphics card has nothing to do with the resolution & the refresh rate.
this only pertains to gaming, streaming, etc.
how long do you think till current card prices drop

you will still see cards at MSRP coming & going from online retailers and chains like Best Buy & MicroCenter.
just actually getting yourself into a queue for one, getting checked out before someone else purchases, or getting into a store early enough to grab one off the shelf is difficult.
so far this year i've gotten an RX 6700 XT and an RTX 3080 Ti at MSRP but it took some effort.

one thing you can try is start visiting NewEgg's shuffle each morning it is open and start applying for any good deal available.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

just actually getting yourself into a queue for one, getting checked out before someone else purchases, or getting into a store early enough to grab one off the shelf is difficult.
so far this year i've gotten an RX 6700 XT and an RTX 3080 Ti at MSRP but it took some effort.

one thing you can try is start visiting NewEgg's shuffle each morning it is open and start applying for any good deal available.

Shortages driven by market demand, AIBs selling directly to miners being one thing, scalpers being another. Given the number of new builds on PC Part Picker, which is certainly a minority, people are still getting cards, just not exactly when they want them.

MSRP has been rising due to TSMC and Samsung increasing prices, and all their suppliers have done the same. So Micron, Samsung, Sk Hynix etc have all increased prices for memory. PCB suppliers as well, chemical companies, pretty much everything. US still has their tariffs in place for imported goods and electronics as well. Shipping delays as there aren't workers to unload shipping containers. Shipping costs as providers are offering quite high wages to maintain service.

I bought my 3080Ti through Newegg as well. $1400 MSRP, Saw one a few days ago on Newegg, $1480, and most other 3080Ti they sell still in the $1800 range. Still nowhere near the $2500+ you see on ebay.

Never been a better or worse time to buy. You don't buy now, you risk having to pay even more next time. You buy now, and feel stupid when the shortages finally do end, or the next generation cards come out. But it comes down to being able to utilize your monitor and play the games you want to play.

Best Buy now requires joining their special club to have a chance to buy in demand products, so add another $200 to whatever it is you want. There are some benefits, I suppose...

TRENDING THREADS