Best card for gaming and DVD playback?

G

What is the best option for dvd playback and 3d performance? I know the mx beats the radeon ve in 3d performance, but the radeon is supposed to excel in dvd playback. Is there a happy medium? I currently own a geforce 2 mx card with tv out, but the dvd playback is sluggish. Any suggestions? Keep in mind a budget of $80-150 or so.

G

ATI cards come with a Rage Theater chip, GF cards have no such video play back chip. IMHO the play back is outstanding. 1.4GHz Athlon, 256MB DDR @280MHz CAS, Radeon 64MB VIVO so I guess it might be the rest of the system. So is that chip worth the cash to you?

I AM Canadian.

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
you might want to look into the le it is basscally made for ome s and if you overclock and do something to the regerstere you can get some good speed out of it

i just saw the radeon ddr 64 for 169 US dollars the other day

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red> Can be a lot of fun :smile: :smile: :smile:

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
newegg.com has a redsoen 64mb ddr with vivo for 150 dollars plus ten dollars shiping so that is pretty close to your price limit

<font color=red>Gasoline + Fire</font color=red> Can be a lot of fun :smile: :smile: :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Radeon LE beets them both for less money. The LE has a T&L engine which the VE lacks. The Radeon LE is available plain for $70, of TVO for $100.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

G

Thanks....System specs are a thunderbird 1.2ghz with 256mb pc133 ram and a 30.7 gig hd. Is the Radeon LE really better than the VE? Also, I had read a review that says the Radeon 32 DDR is about as good as the 64, is this true?

G

Both cards are basically the same but the 64MB version has a pretty additional 32MB meant for SUPPORTING future games which will have more detailed textures, hi-res textures and other stuff...which means that the 32MB one is okay for current games cos the extra memory isn't fully utilised.

-=$&| *WWWuuusssuuuppp?!?!?* |&%=-