Best card for Video Editing???????

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Hey guys,

I am building a pretty fast video editnig computer system. I know for the most part your hard drive, Ram, and Processor are the key ingredients to a fast editing machine. So I know the video card doesn't have to be a 8800GTX fast gaming card, but what would be the best editing video card for the best price? I have heard that they do make specific video editing cards with specific features. Any ideas??? Please post links if you have one. Thanks guys.

It depends on the applications you're going to use for it.

IMO, I would recommend getting a GF9600GT for the task.

It's inexpensive, not too power hungry (but a little more than some) and it has additional SPUs for future GPGPU potential, plus it has the PureVideo feature for HD playback (decoding not encoding).

The push to add GPU accelerated features in future releases and updates to editing software makes this a better choice than my former HD2600/GF8600/HD3650 choices, and which the GF8800GS and GF9600GSO may have a shader advantage in that future, I wouldn't want their poor power characteristics and lack of HD acceleration.

AMD may bring something more than their COBRA to the table, but until that time I'd say get the GF9600 if you're in it for the long haul and want GPGPU accelerated encoding.

Otherwise get a low to mid HD2/3K or GF8 series because without that the graphics cards won't play a major role beyond basic preview options.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Man that is actually still a pretty good card. I am looking more at the GF7600GT series. We will never be playing games on it. Just running Premier PRO HD and some audio eding programs.

Then don't bother with a GF7600GT.

Get a Geforce 8500/8600 series card instead if you want a GPGPU option or else an HD2600 card.

These being my favourite choices in order or preference for value for need;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125070
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127300
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127318
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127301

The GF7600GT offers nothing compared to these cards (no aditional features, and many less [for more power consumption]), and I would suggest you stick to the GF8600 or HD2600 rather than lower cards for both the HD decode option and the future GPGPU encode options.

BTW, remember that those HD2600 have DVI-HDMI with audio option via the dongle, the GF8400 has the built in HDMI, but the processing power remains low.

Spitfire7

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007

Thanks man, I have decided to go with the EVGA 8600GT. I have been a big fan of EVGA and love their lifetime warrenty. That card also comes with the HDTV and audio Dongle you were talking about. That has the audio with it right????

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
Only ATI HD cards comes with audio built into the HDMI.
Video encoding is CPU intensive-higher the clock the quicker the transcoding.

If you decide stick with XP, ati is a better choice. Whatever your choice is, make sure there is plenty of VRAM(min 512MB, recommended 1GB)

jivdis1x

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2006
oh. dont forget about the add on sound card.

I recommend a step up audio system. While most of video capture cards come with audio capture built on, most digital videographers eventually find themselves doing some soundtrack manipulation and basic audio editing. Having a step up sound card will let you do a better job and as an added bonus, many of these cards come with some kind of audio recording utility and even basic audio mixing/editing tools.

No that wasn't what I was talking about HDMI not HDTV.

That dongle on the eVGA is for component out which may have some limitations including HDCP and/or 1080i max resolution, and no audio on it either.

Only a few of the Geforces support audio out, and usually that's with an audio header for passthrough from the internal sounds card (usually via the SPDIF header or jack).

mestizo73

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Yo Ape right now I have an 2600xt, would it be worth it to upgrage to a 9600GT for the use of GPGPU potential? I rarely play games every now and then at best, but I do alot of video encoding would the 9600GT be worth it?

I would say not for the 'potential', but if you want to try RapidHD's features, then it might be worth trying. But ATi also has their own GPU-assisted encoding tool COBRA.

And really until there's better looks into this I wouldn't bother trading anything for anything else. I would maybe recommend an nV over ATi all other things being equal if you were buying NEW just because nV has announced more stuff sofar, but I wouldn't sell/swap anything just yet, until they actual do more than offer sneak peeks.

If you were gaming it'd be a different story, then there's a guaranteed benefit. IMO wait, because by the time you feel comfortable in what to get, you may find that either nV or ATi have some new improved card to offer with greater efficiency and better other features (like improved precision and output support) and efficiency.

mestizo73

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
Ok cool thanks for that Ape, I think I will wait awhile to see what happens as far as GPGPU stuff goes. I am just trying to get a leg up on the encoding stuff lol

esumsea

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I have invested in a Diamond HD 3870 oc with 1 gig of ram. Is this a good choice? Some say that 1 gig of ram is overkill and that the gpu will never use that much. They suggest the 512 version of this card. I am using this for HD editing. Let me know any other suggestions you may have. I have a budget of $250 MAX.
Thanks
Mario

For anything GPGPU related more RAM and faster the RAM the better.

At first it won't matter though because essentially it'll be like an HD2400 basically, although some 3D effects and maybe some transistion may preview a bit faster, but final render will still be CPU-Memory-HDD centric more than GPU.

However once you move to a GPGPU accelerate solution, I think that card will be great for this generation. The only thing I'd say, is the GPGPU future is still unknown as to who will have more support for various apps, so maybe a 1GB GF8800GTS would be better, but at this point, the HD3K is slightly better for the task at hand, and it also allows you full double precision FP support which may be what is required and what has been added to the GTX2xx series (which may be why they can now do Folding@Home like the ATi chips) and if that's the limit then the GF8/9 series will get no benefit from that at all.

The HD3K-1GB is the safe bet, the GF8800GTS-1GB is riskier but might be the way to go if things fall in place for them. It's almost like guessing at which will run a fall release game (like Fallout3) better with very little info to go on other than shiny PR stuff.

IMO, wait 2 weeks, and see what the HD4K and GTX280 announcement brings, hopefully they will also push down the price of those other two options for you.