[SOLVED] Best card to pair with a R9 3900x?

Nov 8, 2020
Any have any card recommendations that I could pair with a 3900x I'm new to building so all the advice is welcome. My friend says I should wait for the 3060 to release possibly in January. Opinions on that?

Solution
Sorry for the late reply.

144hz only tells me the refresh rate. 1080p 144hz, 1440p 144hz, 4K 120hz (144hz overclocked) etc.

The new AMD cards are decent enough, but just like Nvidia, nearly impossible to get. 6800 just barely makes your price point. RTX3070 is a little cheaper.

Very generalized:

Radeon 6800 ~= RTX 3070
Radeon 6800 XT ~= RTX 3080
Radeon 6900XT ~= RTX3090 (Not worth the price tag, either of them)

Depends on the job/game the card is doing which is truly faster. Nvidia has a lot of neat software quirks still that AMD hasn't quite matched. Ray Tracing, Tensor cores, so it can do some things better. AMD has more memory, so might last a little longer in that regard.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends what you have to spend. Pretty much no limit to what you can put in there with the right power supply and physical space.

Your monitor resolution also dictates a lot. If you are running 1080p, then a lighter card is fine. If you are aiming for 4K or something, as fast as you can pay. And game title matters as well.

3060 might be worth waiting for if that is your price range. Doesn't look like AMD has anything comparable coming soon, but then again, the 3060 hasn't been announced either.

Still, if you can procure a used RTX 2070 Super or more, that might also be worth it.

Nov 8, 2020
Depends what you have to spend. Pretty much no limit to what you can put in there with the right power supply and physical space.

Your monitor resolution also dictates a lot. If you are running 1080p, then a lighter card is fine. If you are aiming for 4K or something, as fast as you can pay. And game title matters as well.

3060 might be worth waiting for if that is your price range. Doesn't look like AMD has anything comparable coming soon, but then again, the 3060 hasn't been announced either.

Still, if you can procure a used RTX 2070 Super or more, that might also be worth it.
I've a 144hz monitor. I do heavy photo-video editing need multiple open, a lot of rendering and of course heavy gaming. Price I'm willing to do 550-600ish once I know it's gonna last me. My friend keeps suggesting the 3060 but since it's just rumoured I'm on the fence but I think I seen something about AMD Cards but being a newbie I don't know if any of them are good. If you wouldn't mind checking that article out and maybe getting back to me if possible. Cheers.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Sorry for the late reply.

144hz only tells me the refresh rate. 1080p 144hz, 1440p 144hz, 4K 120hz (144hz overclocked) etc.

The new AMD cards are decent enough, but just like Nvidia, nearly impossible to get. 6800 just barely makes your price point. RTX3070 is a little cheaper.

Very generalized:

Radeon 6800 ~= RTX 3070
Radeon 6800 XT ~= RTX 3080
Radeon 6900XT ~= RTX3090 (Not worth the price tag, either of them)

Depends on the job/game the card is doing which is truly faster. Nvidia has a lot of neat software quirks still that AMD hasn't quite matched. Ray Tracing, Tensor cores, so it can do some things better. AMD has more memory, so might last a little longer in that regard.

Solution