Best Case Upgrades

B3NDY

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014
So right now I have a corsair 300r which is a large enough case for what I need since I have a single gpu and no crazy water cooling. There is one problem with it though which is that my liquid cooler which is a H100i cannot fit in the top without pressing very hard on the 8 pin CPU power cable and the RAM sticks which is kind of annoying as the cable in particular is bent really sharply and doesn't look like it will last too long as it is. I also find that also the case isn't a bad one I would prefer a more slick looking one.

So here are the ones I have been looking at:
Corsair 800D - This case is large so will definitely have enough room in the top for my radiator but is quite old now which I don't mind as this means it is very cheap for what it is now at about £50 in ebay. The only issue I have is whether the air flow in this case will be enough since it does not have any front intakes and although I only have one gpu it is a open cooler design so it does put the air back into the case and my VRM's can get very hot if this heat isn't taken away so unless the air flow is good enough even with no front intakes I may not be able to get it. I do know there are intakes at the bottom so I dont know whether this will be enough as intakes.

My next option is the Corsair 450D - This one is basically perfect in almost every way since if has front intakes, good airflow, plenty of room for radiators and is also a mid tower so will not take up as much room as the 800D. The one and only thing that is wrong is the price, although its not the most expensive case it is still about £40 more than the 800D so I am not sure whether it is worth is because if the 800D is good enough then it could well be the better option since it just has more space for upgrades in general.

My other option is to keep the case I have but I'm not sure how good this will be for the RAM sticks themselves and the slots because they are being pushed a lot and also the 8 pin which I explained earlier.

Any other Suggestions that seem to fit the criteria of not looking to flashy and just being slick, having good air flow, space for radiators, a window and also trying to keep to a mid tower and not a full tower although this one is not essential. The price is also a factor but I will still look at different suggestions even if they are too much because if it is perfect I can always save up.

Solution
I would not recommend an Obsidian case for you as I have one, and it has poor airflow (the main reason why). The 450D has good airflow, but crappy dust filters, some cheap internals, and can only fit slim rads at the top. The 800D does have better airflow than most obsidian cases. If you had to pick an obsidian, get the 800D.
I would not recommend an Obsidian case for you as I have one, and it has poor airflow (the main reason why). The 450D has good airflow, but crappy dust filters, some cheap internals, and can only fit slim rads at the top. The 800D does have better airflow than most obsidian cases. If you had to pick an obsidian, get the 800D.

Solution

B3NDY

Reputable
Apr 18, 2014

Thanks, I will probably get a 800D then. If the obsidian series don't have great air flow what would you suggest that is either corsair or another brand as well which keeps good air flow while having room for radiators?

Some corsair cases would be: 600t, air 540, 500r. I don't know what type of rads you are looking at, but these should work. I also really like the Enthoo Pro, but it isn't out yet. But stick with the 800D if you really like it.

Though if you plan on doing lots of (custom) liquid cooling, just stick with the 800D. the bottom compartment is great for placing pumps and reservoirs.