Best Cases (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon Ayres

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Why are these the best cases? Cases are as much about personal preference to aesthetics as they are functionality, this list is arbitrary at best.

That isn't to say these cases are not great, but to claim that they are better than all other cases in the respective categories is just disingenuous.

Co BIY

Splendid
I think we need reviews of some smaller mid-Towers. The value cases that you build practical computers in. And maybe something that works well for a mATX with a moderate GPU but doesn't have to fit in the palm of my hand and require a special micro- ITX power supply.

Is anyone building a nice slim tower designed with IGP and SSD in mind ? For when you build for others.

im still not convinced i can beet buying $70 worth of acrylic and metal and taking the time to build a case exactly how i like it and to fit my parts perfectly. especially when you have a mobo larger than atx.

booboodo

Commendable
May 12, 2016
I don't think any of the clear panel cases or acrylic cases without a metalized coating will meet FCC EMI requirements. Are we all just ignoring the FCC rules these days?

I agree with Simon. The case is such a personal preference item, that it is impossible to label any "Best." You can measure noise or heat, so "quietest" or "coolest-running" would be fine, but "best" is too subjective. You might call this one "Editors' Favorite Cases" or some such, but not "Best Cases."

Well I just go the Obsidian 750D yesterday (moving over from a cheap Bitfenix case), I just need to fix my fans noise (I have 6 chassis fans) then other than that its amazing. If your lucky you can get it used for under £100 but I got it new from scan for about £120-30ish.

http://imgur.com/AXSHROK

Lighting may look blue but its actually white, it just my camera didn't pick up the colour very well for some reason.

InvalidError

Titan

As long as all the individual components inside the case are compliant, the complete PC should still be compliant even if it was built in an all-plastic box with no shielding whatsoever. Having a metal box only adds an extra immunity/compliance margin on top of that.

PC frames being made of metal may have more to do with fire resistance: contain the electrical fault until it burns out while the fire-retardant plastics melt away.

Newbie 101

Commendable
Apr 27, 2016
It's a bit unclear from these brief descriptions/table of features which cases, especially in the ATX size, have the most recent USB ports (which certainly matters). At the same time, from an aesthetic perspective, I can't easily tell what the color options are for these cases either.

Can we get that information added to the table?

Except $70 isn't the total cost there. At the very least, you need to also add the cost of the tools you're using to shape and form the materials. Few people have the time, tools, or know-how in order to make something like that.

It's a bit unclear from these brief descriptions/table of features which cases, especially in the ATX size, have the most recent USB ports (which certainly matters). At the same time, from an aesthetic perspective, I can't easily tell what the color options are for these cases either.

Yeah, I always want to know if they have at least two USB 3.0 slots, and I would like to know if they have anything new like a USB 3.1 Type-C port or something.

I also want to know CPU cooler clearance, especially in the Mini-ITX cases. Very much a make-or-break factor in choosing a Mini-ITX case.

Yeah, I always want to know if they have at least two USB 3.0 slots, and I would like to know if they have anything new like a USB 3.1 Type-C port or something.

I also want to know CPU cooler clearance, especially in the Mini-ITX cases. Very much a make-or-break factor in choosing a Mini-ITX case.

You can click on the links on the bottom of the article where the prices are listed and go to the recommended vendor site and see those types of details there.

Why are these the best cases? Cases are as much about personal preference to aesthetics as they are functionality, this list is arbitrary at best.

That isn't to say these cases are not great, but to claim that they are better than all other cases in the respective categories is just disingenuous.

Perhaps these are the best of the cases submitted for review by the manufacturers.

Wiltedjoint

Commendable
May 12, 2016
This is just advertising disguised as a 'review/recommendation". Take a stand and anoint just 1 case in each category.

There was a time when Tom's Hardware had integrity, sadly those days are over

Stevemeister

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
There are so many cases out there that its next to impossible to test all of them. If you want quality and functionality Lian-Li are among the best out there. . . . but they are not cheap.

Sure, I know you can dig through each vendor's site to find out more info. The point here is that these factors are important to case buyers, and it would be helpful to display those items on their at-a-glance chart, rather than have to laboriously dig through vendor sites.

What is important to one SI may not be the same to another SI or to a home user doing his 1st build. So it is hard to say one is the best for everyone.

Awe come on where is your sense of adventure and discovery? Don't think of it as laboriously digging through vendor sites, think of it as a search for the truth. If that doesn't work have a beer and relax it works for me.

That reminds me I got to make a stop at the market.

Questors

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2004
If a "best cases" list doesn't list a CaseLabs product, it isn't a best case list. Period! Didn't review one? Get one and do so.

InvalidError

Titan

Easier said than done when the case costs ~$200 while the article earns the reviewer only $400 or so for likely over a week's worth of work. You really need to like what you are doing to do it for ~$5/h.

Status
Not open for further replies.