[SOLVED] Best cheap CPU for AM3+ socket?

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Hey guys, I recently got a pretty good deal on a combo that included an AM3+ motherboard, a GTX 960 2gb, 10gb DDR3, and a few other things. The combo came with an old Athlon II X2 270 CPU and I know that needs to be upgraded if I want to get some good performance.
So what would be a good CPU to pair with this 960 2gb? Gonna use this in a Pc flip. FX-6100 or better CPUs are going for way too much, so I want ideas on other processors since I don’t know much about AM3+
Budget for CPU is about $25-30. Looking for used, of course.
TIA! :)

Solution
I have a cooler that’s advertised to have a 100w TDP.
And I said in my top post, that every FX processor I’ve seen has been overpriced, at least the 6xxx ones. Are any 4xxx series ones good?
What about phenom X6 CPUs? Are they any good? I feel it might be a selling point to have “six cores”
Well, FX 4300 then but since you mentioned it, Phenom II x6 1060T is about as good as FX 6100 just missing few functions.
Hey guys, I recently got a pretty good deal on a combo that included an AM3+ motherboard, a GTX 960 2gb, 10gb DDR3, and a few other things. The combo came with an old Athlon II X2 270 CPU and I know that needs to be upgraded if I want to get some good performance.
So what would be a good CPU to pair with this 960 2gb? Gonna use this in a Pc flip. FX-6100 or better CPUs are going for way too much, so I want ideas on other processors since I don’t know much about AM3+
Budget for CPU is about $25-30. Looking for used, of course.
TIA! :)
Much depends on actual MB because of power delivery, up to FX6300 should work on all of them and be quite a jump from Athlon. I would skip al FX x1xx processors because of higher power draw and less performance from FX x3xx.
You may also need better cooler, at least one that comes with FX processors.

Last edited:

Insane Potatoz

Reputable
Sep 22, 2019
Much depends on actual MB because of power delivery, up to FX6300 should work on all of them and be quite a jump from Athlon. I would skip al FX x1xx processors because of higher power draw and less performance from FX x3xx.
You may also need better cooler, at least one that comes with FX processors.
And I said in my top post, that every FX processor I’ve seen has been overpriced, at least the 6xxx ones. Are any 4xxx series ones good?
What about phenom X6 CPUs? Are they any good? I feel it might be a selling point to have “six cores”

Well, FX 4300 then but since you mentioned it, Phenom II x6 1060T is about as good as FX 6100 just missing few functions.

Solution
I would go with the FX4300 because of the missing instructions with the Phenom.
An FX4100 is an option too which would support the newer ssc instructions but performance will be worse than the 4100.

You might as well at least try to overclock it on your cooler. You might be surprised.

The old phenoms seem to go for more than they are worth imo.