Best cheap CPU that can do VR

Jul 23, 2018
So I need a Processor that can do VR and also cheap but the only problem is that I need a processor for a LGA 1151 socket and i couldn’t find any and I need the price to be at least 150$ cuz I’m on a budget thanks :)
(I currently don’t have the pc or any parts but the motherboard is MSi Z370 gaming plus)

Solution

The 2200G could do in a pinch but it's not the greatest option. The main thing it has going for it is the integrated graphics which aren't fast enough for VR anyway. If you want an AMD CPU something like the R5 1500x has more threads which can help, though springing for the R5 1600 or 2600 would be ideal. On the Intel side, the i3 8100 could get the job done, being a faster gaming CPU than any of the 4 core 4 thread Ryzen chips eg. R3 2200G, R3 1200/1300, though ideally you might want to move up to 6 cores and look at the i5 8400 if budget allows.

Another thing, you don't really need to spend money on a Z370 board if you go Intel. Only K...
What motherboard do you have and what CPU do you currently have? LGA1151 has two different revisions and they are not cross compatible. If you have a 100 or 200 series chipset then you are restricted to 6th and 7th gen processors. If you have a 300 series chipset, you can only use the 8th gen processors. Generally speaking for VR, you want at least a quad core CPU, so Core i5 for the 6th and 7th gen and Core i3 for 8th gen. High clockspeeds are also recommended so certain low clocked chips like the Core i5 6400 might not be all that great.

The 2200G could do in a pinch but it's not the greatest option. The main thing it has going for it is the integrated graphics which aren't fast enough for VR anyway. If you want an AMD CPU something like the R5 1500x has more threads which can help, though springing for the R5 1600 or 2600 would be ideal. On the Intel side, the i3 8100 could get the job done, being a faster gaming CPU than any of the 4 core 4 thread Ryzen chips eg. R3 2200G, R3 1200/1300, though ideally you might want to move up to 6 cores and look at the i5 8400 if budget allows.

Another thing, you don't really need to spend money on a Z370 board if you go Intel. Only K SKU chips can be overclocked and the only other benefits Z370 offers you are SLI support (useless for most applications as few things support it these days, VR doesn't support it) and being able to take advantage of high speed RAM (something that isn't nearly as impactful to performance on Intel as it is on AMD's current chips).

Solution