[SOLVED] Best, cheapest build I can pair with GTX 1050ti?

Jan 29, 2019
Guys, I am STRUGGLING. Back in 2016 I bought a pre-built gaming PC, as I didn't (and still don't) know much about computers. I only played League back then so the specs didn't really matter to me. Now I solely play Overwatch. Like, a lot. The specs for the pre-built PC are: AMD FX 6300 CPU, Radeon RX 460 GPU, 8GB DDR3 ram, AMD 760g+710g motherboard. Everyone I know has told me these parts are extremely old and outdated. My computer has pretty much started failing. The GPU fan is completely broke, causing overheating and my PC to turn off a lot. Even when it wasn't broke, I got less than 30 fps on all low on Overwatch. So I need to upgrade, but I don't know if the rest of my parts are compatible. I've been told the GTX 1050ti should be fine with the ancient CPU, but I would like opinions? Thanks.

(If you think I should update my parts, let me know. But I should inform you my budget is very low right now, as I am a poor college student.)

Solution
The common trick these days is to look for a cheap ex lease business PC for sale second hand, something with an i5 2400 or 3470 for instance like an HP 8200 and then add a low profile 1050 or 1050ti and up the RAM to at least 8GB.

As for just adding a 1050Ti to your existing PC, if you get a low profile one just in case there's nothing lost in just seeing if it's good enough for you. The FX6300 will be your bottleneck, it's just a matter of how bad it feels to you personally. It might be good enough. Supposed to be about 25% faster than a RX 460 on average.

Looking at some benchmarks the 460 should manage close to 60fps @ 1080P though, because it's not doing that for you the CPU might be your issue and a graphics card might not help...

Dugimodo

Distinguished
The common trick these days is to look for a cheap ex lease business PC for sale second hand, something with an i5 2400 or 3470 for instance like an HP 8200 and then add a low profile 1050 or 1050ti and up the RAM to at least 8GB.

As for just adding a 1050Ti to your existing PC, if you get a low profile one just in case there's nothing lost in just seeing if it's good enough for you. The FX6300 will be your bottleneck, it's just a matter of how bad it feels to you personally. It might be good enough. Supposed to be about 25% faster than a RX 460 on average.

Looking at some benchmarks the 460 should manage close to 60fps @ 1080P though, because it's not doing that for you the CPU might be your issue and a graphics card might not help at all. The FX 6300 is a fairly weak CPU for gaming.

The ryzen 2200G/2400G or i3 8100 are the starting points for a new PC on a budget, any of them should be fine with a 1050ti and the two ryzens can game a bit just with integrated graphics - the 2400G is close to a 1030 in graphics power

Solution
Jan 29, 2019
Hi, I actually decided to basically just rebuild a new PC. I'd rather have a decent PC than a "bearable" one, so I'm going to invest into it. I'm considering buying: MSI B450 motherboard, Ryzen 5 2400g, GTX 1060 6gb, ddr4 3000 16gb.

What are your thoughts? Is everything compatible and will I get the best performance with these combined? If you have any other recommendations I'd like to know too. I don't want to over or underkill it with parts.

As for the fps issues, I am not sure why I have 30 on low. I used to be able to play at 60+ on medium settings @ 1080p but one day it randomly changed and I had to fix my settings.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Looks like solid choices, and should have a good upgrade path with the next gen of Ryzen if that ever becomes something you want/need.
As long as you are sticking with 1080P the 2400G / 1060 should play everything very well.

If you wanted to stretch the budget any further my only suggestions would be to consider a 6 core Ryzen like the 2600 or a 1700 (mainly because there are some good deals around for that one). Most games are still fine on 4 cores so it's just a gamble on future game requirements. And the other one is always an SSD boot drive if you don't already have one, doesn't help your games but makes the whole PC feel more responsive in general.