Best cheep vivo card

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
I'm doing some massive upgrading next month. I'll be upgrading my computer as well as my home entertainment center. As a part of this process, I'll be switching from videotapes to DVD (In part because my VCR just broke). The problem is that I have an extensive videotape library that I want to switch over to VCD so that I can play it on the DVD player (which can read VCD's as well as DVD).

What I would like to know is what is the best VIVO card for the buck. I need a card that will let me take the input from my TV/VCR and record it on my computer so that I can burn it off to CD's. I'm also looking for something with good, if not stellar, 3D gaming capabilities. Finally, I've got less than $150 to spend on the card.

At first I was going to get one of the ATI cards, but I've heard that there are alot of difficulties getting them to work with SB live sound cards.

My new rig will be an Athlon 1200, 256 Megs DDR Ram with the Asus A7A266 motherboard and a sound blaster live value card running under Win 98. I'm not so worried about the software as I am with getting the proper hardware. I may settle for an ATI card and just cross my fingers (the driver and sound card issues seem to affect mostly Win 2000 computers).

The Gainward geoforce2 MX twinview VIVO golden sample has been recommended to me as well, but I can't find anyone who's selling it.

While I'm at it, does anyone know if there is a DVD player that can read Mpeg 4 coded CD's? Since Mpeg 4 just recently came out, I doubt that there are any available yet.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Radeon 64mb VIVO. Its hardware VIVO not like the Geforce 2 and 3 cards thank to the Rage theater chip on board.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Other maker. I see a couple of nvidia cards. But the Radeon's Vivo is much better. It's hardware VIVO so it doesnt stress your cpu. Nvidia cards having VIVO can steal some Cpu %.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile: