[SOLVED] Best choice to hook up SyncMaster B2330 to more recent pc

chiliem

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2012
I recently bought a Lenovo IdeaCentre 5G 14IMB05, which offers both DisplayPort and HDMI, but neither VGA nor DVI, which are the only options on my 60Hz SyncMaster B2230. Technically a solution to that would be either a DisplayPort-to-DVI or an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. But do these indeed offer good results? If both offer a decent solution, is there any quality difference between them?

Solution
I recently bought a Lenovo IdeaCentre 5G 14IMB05, which offers both DisplayPort and HDMI, but neither VGA nor DVI, which are the only options on my 60Hz SyncMaster B2230. Technically a solution to that would be either a DisplayPort-to-DVI or an HDMI-to-DVI adapter. But do these indeed offer good results? If both offer a decent solution, is there any quality difference between them?
Either option will work to support your monitors native 1080p resolution. I'd use a DP to DVI cable since you have 3 DP connections, so that the only HDMI port on the video card is free to connect to a TV, if you ever wanted to do that. DP and HDMI also carry audio but not DVI so you lose that option with an adapter cable, if that matters to...
Either option will work to support your monitors native 1080p resolution. I'd use a DP to DVI cable since you have 3 DP connections, so that the only HDMI port on the video card is free to connect to a TV, if you ever wanted to do that. DP and HDMI also carry audio but not DVI so you lose that option with an adapter cable, if that matters to you. I don't know of any signal quality differences between them when using adapter cables.
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-DVI-Feet/dp/B004C9M7UG

Last edited:
Solution