Question Best closed back, no mic headphones in 150-200$ range

owedevil

Reputable
Jan 20, 2019
I am having a lot of trouble with finding the best closed back, no mic, good sound quality with good bass headphones for 150-200$. Been all over the internet and my top pick is, currently, the m50x ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07662ZD8...olid=1B6VPGZ35GN6E&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it ) However, I am seeing A LOT of differing opinion regarding them. Some say the bass is weak/ so good they shake; or they're simply designed to be overall neutral and gamers would not like them, only professionals/ they are great for gaming; or they simply are overhyped and not worth the price/the best headphones for the price. Pretty much everything I have researched regarding them have contrary reviews.

Again, I am looking for closed back, no mic, great bass, good overall, quality headphones that will last. For reference I currently have the M30s and they are starting to cut off in one ear. I am primarily a gamer who enjoys heavy explosions, loud jet engines, thunderous cavalry charges, heavy machine gun fire, etc., but I do enjoy also overall quality of sound. Still I think I would prioritize bass. I have integrated onboard sound which is pretty decent, being a not very old MOBO, but have no dedicated sound card yet, though I may eventually get one.

Lastly, I have Amazon Prime and can try out and return the m50x, but dont want to go through the hassle if possible. Would anyone recommend them? I always use equilizer sliders for my sound, otherwise my integrated sounds like utter feces, so if I get a pair of headphones that might be designed "neutral" and tweak the sliders can I still get great bass outta them?

I appreciate any info regarding the M50x and, if they are obsolete any better recommendations. Thanks in advance.

D

Deleted member 217926

I'm not an M50X fan. The bass is bloated and bleeds into the mids and it has a tiny soundstage.

There's not a closed back option that 'everyone' agrees on like there would be with open back. A few options:

The Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro especially the 80ohm version. Your onboard should drive them but if they don't get loud enough you might need at least a smallish amp. There are also 32 ohm ( easiest to drive ) and 250ohm ( hardest to drive, needs an amp ) versions but the 80ohm model tends to be the most liked across the review community. Great bass and sub bass.

https://www.amazon.com/beyerdynamic...rds=dt770+pro&qid=1563130636&s=gateway&sr=8-3

The Massdrop x Meze 99 Noir. A Massdrop ( Drop, they changed names for some reason ) exclusive this is a Meze 99 Classic with a different finish for $100 less than the original. Excellent build quality and bass is very good.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-meze-99-noir-closed-back-headphones

The Audio Technica WS1100iS. I haven't heard these but reviews are solid.

https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Techni...ds=ath-ws1100&qid=1563130447&s=gateway&sr=8-1

Reactions: owedevil

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Closed back= limited sound stage that is just the nature of the design.
Closed back= Better at limited noise around you and less likely to annoy people around you with the noise you make.

Beyerdynamic DT 770 -
Noise Isolations is pretty good considering the pads.
Feels tight with a big noggin, worse with glasses
Bass- Mediocre and inconsistent and tend to distort with bass heavy sources and higher volumes but it's not highly drastic, lower vocal ranges appear thin,
Treble- Feels Sharp, quality also seems inconsistent.
Mids- Pretty much perfect
Pads- These may be comfy but they do tend to pick up Sweat and get ganky.

M50X-
Noise isolation is less on these than the 770's
They are more comfortable and pads don't get nasty.
High-bass is overemphasized and Mid's are slightly recessed
Treble- Appear less bright in some areas but overall it's still very good.

Audio Technica WS1100iS
The Headband kinda hurts my head but then again I have a weirdly shaped Egg noggin hidden under a Flattop.
Earpads are very Comfy
Bass- Prominent, Tight, precise with no weird boomy rollover that bleeds everything else out.
Treble- Some areas seem Sharp but overall consistent.
Mids- Great accuracy but like the Treble not as prominent
The Box said SOLID BASS in big Lettering. :LOL:

Honorable Mentions " Haven't tried"
Sennheiser HD 598 Cs
Sennheiser HD 569
V-MODA Crossfade LP2
JVC SZ2000
Beyerdynamic Custom One