Best Computer Memory: March 2015

CRO5513Y

Expert
Ambassador
Completely agree with the first choice, i found the same kit a few weeks ago on Newegg, Viper RGB 3600 Mhz that was cheaper than Corsair Vengeance RGB, G.Skill Trident Z RGB & GeIL RGB kits and they were all only 3200 MHz! I'd argue the Viper looks the best of the RGB sets too, didn't know it existed until i came across it on Newegg. Strongly recommend for the price + speed + aesthetic combination.

Oct 8, 2018
This backs up what I've seen on other sites in that 2x8GB DDR4 memory is the best for stability and overclockability and performance, 2x16GB DDR4 memory cannot be overclocked as high.

Oct 21, 2018
You don't need a K CPU to overclock ram on an Intel platform. You just need the Z chipset. Yeah kind of confusing when the memory controller is on the CPU. But that's what happens when everything is artificially limited.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Memory controller might be part of the cpu, but the cpu parameters are set by the bios, which is part of the mobo. Cpu jumps, bios tells it 'how high'.

Umm why is this posted as Best Memory: March 2015? Musta missed sumptin...

hannibal

Distinguished
I would like to know which one of these memories Are good in AMD systems... amd and Intel handles ram differently. I would like to see two gategories. One for Intel based systems and one for amd based systems!

InvalidError

Titan
I would like to know which one of these memories Are good in AMD systems... amd and Intel handles ram differently. I would like to see two gategories. One for Intel based systems and one for amd based systems!
AMD memory compatibility has mostly fallen to the wayside since post-AGESA 1.0.0.6 and Ryzen 2000, it would indeed be nice to have a broader update on the current state of things nearly two years later and see whether it should still be something people need to worry about.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Unfortunately there is nearly zero consistency between AMD boards, so recommending a memory kit for AMD without specifying the board would be foolish. The reason we're currently using Kingston's Hynix DDR4-2933 in our Intel motherboard reviews is because of an issue with our G.Skill B-Die DDR4-3866 on an AMD board that I was testing right before staring the Z390 reviews.

Last edited:

kenzy9

Honorable
Nov 18, 2018
Unfortunately there is nearly zero consistency between AMD boards, so recommending a memory kit for AMD without specifying the board would be foolish. The reason we're currently using Kingston's Hynix DDR4-2933 in our Intel motherboard reviews is because of an issue with our G.Skill B-Die DDR4-3866 on an AMD board that I was testing right before staring the Z390 reviews.
Yes I'd like to know more about "Memory speeds advertised as part of an XMP profile might not be achievable on AMD-based motherboards. XMP is a sort of automatic memory overclocking setting that was designed for Intel motherboards. Some motherboard makers offer BIOS settings to help you achieve these faster speeds on AMD motherboards. But these settings aren’t present on all boards, and they don’t always work when they are present."

I'd have thought this thing would've been more clear and refined in this day and age :(

Reactions: grogi

InvalidError

Titan
I'd have thought this thing would've been more clear and refined in this day and age :(
The joys of vendor-specific standards in a multi-vendor environment. XMP is Intel-specific, XMP profiles are based on Intel memory controller model and motherboard design rules, AMD's CPUs have different memory controller models, different motherboard rules so XMP mileage may vary wildly... especially with the first-gen memory controller and early BIOSes.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes I'd like to know more about "Memory speeds advertised as part of an XMP profile might not be achievable on AMD-based motherboards. XMP is a sort of automatic memory overclocking setting that was designed for Intel motherboards. Some motherboard makers offer BIOS settings to help you achieve these faster speeds on AMD motherboards. But these settings aren’t present on all boards, and they don’t always work when they are present."

It's called "Intel XMP" for a reason :)

The Hynix memory worked well on most AMD and all Intel boards, and our previous Samsung-based memory didn't work well with some AMD boards, so we picked the kit that had better compatiblity with both.

Reactions: kenzy9

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Do you recall the Anandtech articles from the haswell days comparing memory speed and timings, to the performance gains and losses, it'd be really nice to see something like that again for at Ryzen 3000 given the sensitivity to memory speeds that Ryzen in general seems to display, especially given Intels general insensitivity to memory speeds.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell
I wish you hadn't suggested it, because I was planning to sneak one in without telling the bosses and surprise everyone.

Oct 17, 2019
There is something squirrely about the links to vendors.

If you click on the Amazon link for the Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 (2x8GB) (PVS416G440C9K), that's NOT what you get. Instead you wind up on the page for the Patriot 16GB (2 x 8GB) Viper Steel DDR4-3200 (PVS416G320C6K), which is CLEARLY not DDR4-4400. Actual DDR4-4400 memory is $145 vs $70 for the 3200.

Many of the other links are like that also. I imagine most people are smart enough to double-check the model, but it seems like it would be better to link to the actual product being reviewed.

Reactions: MdizzleD

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There is something squirrely about the links to vendors.

If you click on the Amazon link for the Patriot Viper Steel DDR4-4400 (2x8GB) (PVS416G440C9K), that's NOT what you get. Instead you wind up on the page for the Patriot 16GB (2 x 8GB) Viper Steel DDR4-3200 (PVS416G320C6K), which is CLEARLY not DDR4-4400. Actual DDR4-4400 memory is $145 vs $70 for the 3200.

Many of the other links are like that also. I imagine most people are smart enough to double-check the model, but it seems like it would be better to link to the actual product being reviewed.
Thanks for bringing that example to our attention: At the moment we're putting out these fires one-by-one and continue to do so until our developers find a new solution.

Reactions: abryant and jcwren

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
I'm a little surprised that you aren't putting down info like who manufactures the RAM, the version, etc. Most enthusiasts are interested in that information, especially when you are getting into overclocking.

EDIT: Also seems like your sales links are broken or something. They are NOT linking to the product that you are recommending. Either wrong speed, or wrong part number completely. (based on your #1 and #2 pick, I'm still going through them)

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised that you aren't putting down info like who manufactures the RAM, the version, etc. Most enthusiasts are interested in that information, especially when you are getting into overclocking.

EDIT: Also seems like your sales links are broken or something. They are NOT linking to the product that you are recommending. Either wrong speed, or wrong part number completely. (based on your #1 and #2 pick, I'm still going through them)
It's from 2018, that's why the links are broken.