Best Computer Monitors: October 2014 (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Good overall roundup - thanks TH. Although the 24s at 1080 (Freesync/Gsync) have their days numbered. Good for people with low-end GPUs or no cash, but won't be on this list year-end (or shouldn't be).

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I just bought 2, 28" 4k monitors on sale from Newegg for $250 each. Turns out this R9 290X has trouble displaying in 4K at 60hz. Wish I bought an IPS FreeSync monitor instead, but ohh well I should be ready for 2020 when I can make full use of both monitors.

jeyman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't have a Freesync or Gsync capable setup (280X/7970 CF) and I'll wait to see how that matchup settles out before moving to my next monitor in a few years. In the meantime, I got a killer deal on the Dell U3415W and I am really enjoying gaming on it. It doesn't have the highest refresh or the fastest response time, but I'm not a professional gamer and it keeps up with the action in GTAV and Rocket League just fine. The thing looks beautiful and I would recommend it to anyone similarly sitting on the Freesync/Gsync sidelines. High resolution ultrawide curved gaming is awesome.

rogueSF

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
Bought myself an XB270HU and its the best monitor I've ever owned. Definitely recommend it to anyone whose interested.

Regarding the BenQ XL2730z, this monitor has proved to be *solid* so far. The price in the article is wrong though, it's going for $549 on Amazon at the moment, (also 1 refurb @ Amazon available for $478 at the time of this post). Initially, I went with an Asus MG279Q, also listed with a wrong price, currently $649 @ Amazon, (6 used available for $499, 1 refurb for $479 at the moment), but RMA'd it and went with the XL2730z.

Last time I looked at the MG279Q on Amazon, around the beginning of the new year, there was a disclaimer they posted saying they couldn't guarantee the quality of the monitor. It has, sadly, had a number of bleed, glow, and other issues people have had with it that indicates poor quality control; maybe at least, around the holidays anyhow? Seeing comments along the lines of "just keep returning it until you get one without this or that problem isn't very encouraging feedback, either.

The XL2730Z, however, with its latest firmware update, has proved to be an excellent monitor that worked well right out the box. While it is regrettable that it's TN rather than IPS, the color quality is considerably better than your average TN panel. It also offered the most features for the price point and size, regardless of the TN vs IPS consideration. Unlike many other models, there's detailed info available to research for this monitor, as well as a lot of positive feedback from owners. So far I really like this monitor and am glad I went with it.

timwilk

Commendable
Mar 18, 2016
A request please
4k,5k, plugged into what hardware?
Would be good to see a Toms Hardware comparison of what machines can properly drive these monitors.
Minimum gpu, laptop, off the shelf, comparison of what works and whats the best.

flatsix911

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2009
Great idea!
A request please
4k,5k, plugged into what hardware?
Would be good to see a Toms Hardware comparison of what machines can properly drive these monitors.
Minimum gpu, laptop, off the shelf, comparison of what works and whats the best.

Jaran Gaarder Heggen

Commendable
Mar 21, 2016
Have still a Dell 3007WFPHC, more than 10 years old now and still going strong ... not a single pixel fault ...
Love the 16:10 format and will not go to 16:9, so for me it will be a new Dell when they come with a 5K with frequence on single link with 60MHz or faster ...

Are the Dell monitors so bad that they cant be compared to any of the monitors in this list?

Joker41NAM

Reputable
Jul 5, 2015
One thing I wish you'd add to your list is some "budget" options. For example, most people don't really need more than a normal 1080/60 monitor, without the fancy stuff. It'd be nice to have a couple options for when non-geeks ask my opinion. Plus, it would establish a price floor to work from.

avinatbezeq

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
Gaming? Graphics Design? What I need is an "info workers" category (a.k.a. programmers). Large screens, great text, easy on the eyes and, if possible, a better height to width ratio to better display documents in Portrait mode.

Tithulta

Reputable
Feb 16, 2015
I guess I'm cheap, all these monitors would be GREAT, but I can't ever justify spending that kind of cash on a computer monitor. Perfectly willing to drop $1000 ish on a 50" 4k tv, even spent $700 on nice trolling motor for my Dads old bass boat. Where's the Budget gamers options?

forum111

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2014
QHD makes for 16:9, not 16:10, thus the NEC EA305WMi can't be 16:10 and QHD. Please correct the reference to whatever the display actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.