Best Config for 2 SSD's and a Hard Drive

arisyn

Honorable
Jun 6, 2013
Hi all,

In my current build I am running Windows 8 on a 64gb Crucial SSD, and I have a 750gb WD Caviar Black for everything else. I am upgrading to a Samsung 840 128gb Pro series SSD for my OS, and I plan on using the Crucial SSD for a few of my games that I play the most. I have never used 3 different storage drives so I'm not sure if there is an optimal configuration for the 3.

Is my proposed way of setting it up (Samsung SSD for OS and main applications, Crucial SSD for games, and WD HD for pictures, music, etc) viable? Or should I be considering other alternatives?

Thanks!

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
As others have said, that's a good way to go.
As a mild alternative and depending on how much data (pics, music, vids, etc) you have on your WD750, consider putting all that data on the SSDs (probably the Sammy) and use the WD750 exclusively for offline system backups; either full system images or incremental/differential backups. With less than 200GB of total SSD capacity, you can easily get a couple of full system images on the WD750.

It's considered good practice to have an "offline backup" of your data. It doesn't happen often generally speaking, but one of my production PC's powersupply took a dump and killed everything attached to it, including all the internal HDDs. So I speak from personal experience there.

You could put it in a cheap USB2 external case and plug it in when taking backups. You can go as inexpensive as you want in terms of backup software. Something free like Microsoft's SyncToy 2.x, or something more pricey and full featured like a paid version of some backup software.