Best config for ASUS RT N300 router for security.

deltapapazulu

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I just set up a new ASUS RT N300 wireless router. I disabled the wireless function of it in the router settings, and of course I gave it a new name and password.

What I am wondering is what things I can do to make the router more secure. I understand that lower end routers are kind of vulnerable to attack/hacking even with the best security configs. But what config can I give it to make it as secure as possible.

The set up is:

ISP modem fed by a coaxial cable coming in from wall. And router connected to the modem via cat5e cable and there is one computer (only one) connected to the router via cat5e. All very standard.

How can I make my ASUS RT-N300 B1 N300 Wi-Fi Router more secure beyond just what is factory settings?

Thank you.

Solution
Asus routers are fairly secure with the default options. They can only be configured via a lan port so even if you used bad passwords only someone who could plug a cable into your router could even attempt to hack it.

Disabling the WIFI is always the best option if you are not going to use the wifi. I just really wish my asus router would stop complaining that I have not set up the wifi security....it does not seem to understand that if I turn off the wifi radios there will be no wifi traffic to secure.
make sure upnp, dmz host, or anything similar is disabled.
make the router admin page pw very strong.
don't allow physical access to it.
update it/check that it gets support updates and it's not EOL.

The primary security function of a router is to block inbound connections.
If it drops all the connection attempts then there is no opportunity to crack it.

Asus routers are fairly secure with the default options. They can only be configured via a lan port so even if you used bad passwords only someone who could plug a cable into your router could even attempt to hack it.

Disabling the WIFI is always the best option if you are not going to use the wifi. I just really wish my asus router would stop complaining that I have not set up the wifi security....it does not seem to understand that if I turn off the wifi radios there will be no wifi traffic to secure.

Solution