[SOLVED] Best configuration for Fractal Nexus 9p Fan Hub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2022
Motherboard is Asus Strix X570-E Gaming. Cooler is a Noctua NH-D15.
All together I have 8 fans:
2 x 180mm fans in front
3 x 140mm fans in bottom
1 x 140mm fan in back/top (blowing out)
2 x 140mm CPU cooler fans
Fan hub has 9 fan connections

Here is Fractal's suggested (required?) configuration. Would hooking all case fans and CPU fans to the hub, then hooking the hub to the CPU fan header make all fans the same speed at all times? Would it be better to control CPU fans speed separately from case fans?

If I hooked my 2 CPU fans into the CPU fan header, then hooked all case fans to the fan hub, how would I hook up the fan hub? Would I connect the "GND FG PWM MB" (shown in the manual diagram) to any chassis fan header? Or would I hook the "FAN1" (that has a black box around it) to a chassis header?

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to help me with this!

Solution
To hook those 5 fans to the hub, I would use a 4 pin cable to connect the "GND FG PWN MB" connector on the hub to the chassis header at the bottom of the mobo? And one of those 5 fans has to be connected to the "FAN1" that is colored differently from the rest?
Yes that is how they would need to be connected. The fan 1 connector is needed to report the speed those 5 fans are spinning at to the motherboard, bios and AISuite software. And connecting the GND FG PWN MB to the motherboard chassis fan connector allows you to speed up or slow down those 5 fans. The important part is that by connecting the cpu fans directly to the motherboard you have precise control over those for rapid speed up; same with the back of the case exhaust...
Motherboard is Asus Strix X570-E Gaming. Cooler is a Noctua NH-D15.
All together I have 8 fans:
2 x 180mm fans in front
3 x 140mm fans in bottom
1 x 140mm fan in back/top (blowing out)
2 x 140mm CPU cooler fans
Fan hub has 9 fan connections

Here is Fractal's suggested (required?) configuration. Would hooking all case fans and CPU fans to the hub, then hooking the hub to the CPU fan header make all fans the same speed at all times? Would it be better to control CPU fans speed separately from case fans?

If I hooked my 2 CPU fans into the CPU fan header, then hooked all case fans to the fan hub, how would I hook up the fan hub? Would I connect the "GND FG PWM MB" (shown in the manual diagram) to any chassis fan header? Or would I hook the "FAN1" (that has a black box around it) to a chassis header?

Thanks to anyone that takes the time to help me with this!
Since ASUS provides you with its AISuite, which provides very good fan speed control, I personally would connect the 2 cpu fans to the cpu connectors; the back fan to the chassis fan connector closest to it; and the remaining 5 fans to the hub, which would be connected to the chassis fan connector on the bottom of the motherboard. But that's just me.

Mar 23, 2022
Since ASUS provides you with its AISuite, which provides very good fan speed control, I personally would connect the 2 cpu fans to the cpu connectors; the back fan to the chassis fan connector closest to it; and the remaining 5 fans to the hub, which would be connected to the chassis fan connector on the bottom of the motherboard. But that's just me.

To hook those 5 fans to the hub, I would use a 4 pin cable to connect the "GND FG PWN MB" connector on the hub to the chassis header at the bottom of the mobo? And one of those 5 fans has to be connected to the "FAN1" that is colored differently from the rest?

Yes that is how they would need to be connected. The fan 1 connector is needed to report the speed those 5 fans are spinning at to the motherboard, bios and AISuite software. And connecting the GND FG PWN MB to the motherboard chassis fan connector allows you to speed up or slow down those 5 fans. The important part is that by connecting the cpu fans directly to the motherboard you have precise control over those for rapid speed up; same with the back of the case exhaust fan. The other 5 fans are not as essential so they can lag behind and speed up slower.

Reactions: Paperdoc
Solution
Feb 15, 2023
Yes that is how they would need to be connected. The fan 1 connector is needed to report the speed those 5 fans are spinning at to the motherboard, bios and AISuite software. And connecting the GND FG PWN MB to the motherboard chassis fan connector allows you to speed up or slow down those 5 fans. The important part is that by connecting the cpu fans directly to the motherboard you have precise control over those for rapid speed up; same with the back of the case exhaust fan. The other 5 fans are not as essential so they can lag behind and speed up slower.

Ok thanks! One question, I currently connected my Noctua CPU fan to the CPU_FAN header on the motherboard, and GND FG PWM MB on the Fan Hub to CPU_OPT on the motherboard. Is it correct this way? Or should I connect GND FG PWM MB to SYS_FAN1 Chassis header on the motherboard instead?

Thanks in advance!

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Change that. The CPU_OPT header is an exact copy of the CPU_FAN header, so its output is whatever the CPU_FAN control does. Connect your case fan Hub instead to a mobo SYS_FAN header that will normally use a different temperature sensor on the Motherboard for its guidance. Check that header's configuration to ensure it is using automatic control and the PWM Mode setting - not DC.

Reactions: Defonten
Status
Not open for further replies.