[SOLVED] Best connection method for SATA m.2 drive

Feb 26, 2019
Hi,

I just accidentally bought a Samsung 860 EVO V-NAND SATA m.2 SSD instead of an NVMe m.2 SSD, because I'm an idiot and didn't realise SATA m.2 was a thing!
I spent ages trying to get it to work via a PCIe adaptor card before realising that it was a SATA SSD.
I have an Asus Maximus VI Formula motherboard. It also has a mPCIe combo card, but presumably this card won't work in that because it's PCIe not SATA.
I can't return the card for a refund as the retailer I bought it from won't accept returns with the original packaging being opened.

So, my only option is to try and get the drive to work with my PC, so I bought a kingshare KS-ANSTA25 converter card so that I could plug the SATA M.2 card into the motherboards SATA connectors via a cable, basically creating a 2.5" SATA SSD out of the M.2 card + converter card.
The drive shows up and I have formatted it and I am running it now, the kingshare adaptor claims to not have any impact in performance as it just straight converts the connectors rather than running them through any circuitry, but it runs like trash - transferring files at about 100kb/s - 10mb/s, compared to my normal Samsung SSD at 300mb/s.
It often 'hangs' during file transfers as well, just apparently not doing anything.
Via the Samsung Magician software, it correctly detects the card and says it is in Good condition with benchmark transfer speeds of 400 read / 390 write.

Is there any better way to connect this SSD to my computer so it runs at a normal SATA SSD performance rate?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
You have 10x Sata on that board, 6x are Intel and 4 are ASmedia. It's possible Win10CE and updates have messed with the pcie/sata/usb drivers and only the Intel are working as they should. I'd at least make sure you have the last bios and all the last/latest motherboard chipset drives

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have 10x Sata on that board, 6x are Intel and 4 are ASmedia. It's possible Win10CE and updates have messed with the pcie/sata/usb drivers and only the Intel are working as they should. I'd at least make sure you have the last bios and all the last/latest motherboard chipset drives

Solution
Feb 26, 2019

Thanks - didn't know the SATA were split 6/4 on different controllers. I had plugged it in to one of the ASmedia connectors, so I swapped it to one of the Intel ones and it made a considerable difference (Samsung Magician was showing 400 read / 390 write on ASmedia, now 560 read, 530 write on Intel) and it appears to be much more stable.

mPCIE combo 2 card supports sata devices also. Modules up to 2242 form factor are supported.
It's just M.2 860 Evo is too large. It is 2280 form factor.

Thanks - I noticed the 2280 was too long but was wondering if it may at least be a faster connection than going through the kingshare adaptor.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So if you have a m.2 Sata connect cable, you could mount the ssd on the back of the motherboard tray and run the jumper cable to that combo unit

Sweet! Glad that worked. It's probable you need an update on the ASmedia Sata, but you are lucky cuz my mobo has Intel and Marvell and only the 4x Intel are of any use the Marvell are junk.

Last edited: