[SOLVED] Best Cooler For a Ryzen 3600 in a Small Form-factor Build?

May 24, 2020
Hey,

Trying to build within a Silverstone SG13 with a Ryzen 3600 for a portable gaming setup.

I've heard the Ryzen 3600 runs pretty hot under normal game loads (up to 90°c!) On the stock cooler so was wondering what everyone's recommendations are for effectively cooling it inside the SG13.

The case officially fits only a 61mm air cooler but if a sfx power supply is used, I think I read it can get up to 83mm. Otherwise a 120mm aio can fit in the case well.

Assume budget is no problem up to around £200.

What's everyone's thoughts on what to get? Is the Ryzen 3600 just too hot for SFF?

Solution
Thanks for the replies. The case allows for one fan or radiator (120mm or 140mm with a smaller gpu) at the front but there are other options if you use cable ties. My original plan was to use a 120mm aio with a couple of noctua fans to replace the stock ones and then maybe another noctua 120mm cable tied to the side exhaust panel if it'll fit. Like you guys said that would be quite cluttered.

Option 2 is to get a smaller air cooler for the CPU (something like a Noctua NH L9) and use a 120mm fan on the front of the case for intake, and another on the aforementioned side panel for exhaust. The panel is near the top of the case so I'm hoping it'll lead some air out of the top exhaust too (PSU is blocking fan placement on the top)...
I also find stock one fine, only thing I do is a bit better paste, temps are offset by 4-5'C then.
80 is ok for newest cpu's, limits are around ~90'ish still I can understand why its toasty for you.
ryzens are very aggressive on boost, so it will run full speed untill it slaps that 90'C.
you can disable PBO (or make sure its disabled) it will not tell cpu to get even faster, while causing coolers to glow.
if you are on windows you can just limit top speed on cpu to 90-95% to keep it from running so hot.

I would just make sure I have 2 in 1 out fans in case and call it a day.

May 24, 2020
Thanks for the replies. The case allows for one fan or radiator (120mm or 140mm with a smaller gpu) at the front but there are other options if you use cable ties. My original plan was to use a 120mm aio with a couple of noctua fans to replace the stock ones and then maybe another noctua 120mm cable tied to the side exhaust panel if it'll fit. Like you guys said that would be quite cluttered.

Option 2 is to get a smaller air cooler for the CPU (something like a Noctua NH L9) and use a 120mm fan on the front of the case for intake, and another on the aforementioned side panel for exhaust. The panel is near the top of the case so I'm hoping it'll lead some air out of the top exhaust too (PSU is blocking fan placement on the top).

I'm still very much on the fence as to which option to go for but I'll continue thinking. Any further advice would be very much appreciated!

Option 2 is to get a smaller air cooler for the CPU (something like a Noctua NH L9) and use a 120mm fan on the front of the case for intake, and another on the aforementioned side panel for exhaust. The panel is near the top of the case so I'm hoping it'll lead some air out of the top exhaust too (PSU is blocking fan placement on the top).

I'm still very much on the fence as to which option to go for but I'll continue thinking. Any further advice would be very much appreciated!
Wouldn't get a 120/140mm AIO they're kinda useless unless they're double thick.

Something like the L9 would be good. you can get it in black now too

Solution