Best cooler for am3+ socket

Megabanzo

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Hey guys looking for the best cooler be it liquid or air for an amd fx 8350 on an asus m5a78l-m/usb3.
What's out there?

Solution
This is the the best case I see on there that has a fairly low price PLUS has good liquid cooling support, good quality, not great but at least decent fans and looks decent too. BUT you will need to move the two fans that it comes with in front to the rear and top rear position. This is ok, if you are going to get a 240mm water cooler like the H100i v2, as that will come with it's own two fans and you will mount the radiator and fans at the front of the case in an intake configuration. This way you will have two intake and two exhaust fans. Be sure to put the rear and top rear fans you move there so that the fan blade side is facing into the case and the side with the support frames facing out so they will be blowing out of the case...
It's really not about the motherboard so much as it is about the CPU socket and case. Those are the two factors that will mainly determine what cooler you can use. What kind of budget are you working with and what is your case model?

What kind of case cooling fan configuration do you currently have?

Megabanzo

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015

Budget is pretty open.

Case is some ancient thing I found in my friend's attic.
My current cpu cooler is the, I suspect somewhat broken arctic freezer xtreme:
https://www.arctic.ac/worldwide_en/freezer-xtreme-rev-2.html

I'll attach an image of the back so you know what's up: https://imgur.com/fYwNW1q

You need a new case before you do anything else. Might be a good time to simply upgrade some things.

Your case is a VERY old style unit with a top mounted power supply. That type of case, with the exception of a couple of newer Corsair cases that have reused that design, but are not particularly popular, has gone the way of the Dodo bird. Power supplies are particularly susceptible to heat and putting one at the top where all the heat accumulates was never a good idea from the beginning which is why at some point they moved them to the bottom where the cooler air is and configured them to intake that cool outside air rather than trying to use the heated air from inside the case to cool the PSU.

So, I'd highly recommend doing that, AND it would drastically open up your options for what coolers you would be able to use as you are probably rather limited at this point.

That cooler is only 140mm tall, pretty short for a modern heatsink, and it looks like it comes right to the edge of the case panel so most of the current high end air coolers are not going to fit, they will be too tall. There are a few that will probably work but they probably aren't a tremendous upgrade from what you have now. Still, I guess any upgrade in cooling performance is better than none.

I'm not seeing where that cooler is broken? Do those copper heat pipes have holes in them anywhere? Are the fins smashed up? Does the fan still function correctly? If those things are all still good then it's probably fine.

As for water cooling, there is no way there will be support for a radiator in a case that old. Just won't be possible.

Megabanzo

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
Okay cool. Any suggestion for a new case then?
Also the CPU cooler got banged up a while ago so the fins are a little bent, also I suspect the pipes have a fracture in them somewhere.

If there is a fracture in the pipes, you had best monitor temperatures VERY closely, because about 50% of the cooling function of a heatsink is created by the evaporate/condense process of the liquid inside the heat pipes. Without it, it loses much of it's capability. Even if it is only one heat pipe, it could create a hotspot that could affect specific cores more than others.

It would be helpful to know some kind of budget for a case and cooler, as I don't want to just throw options out that aren't going to be realistic for you or perhaps undercut you from a better component thinking that budget is an issue.

It would also be helpful to know if there are any specific intentions or desires for the build beyond simply "best cooler"?

Are you planning to overclock?
Are aesthetics a concern or desire?
Do you have any decent cooling fans currently (Gonna say no based on the pic, but hard to say really)?
Is there a plan to upgrade the core components at some point in the near future, or do you plan to ride this FX platform for a while longer?
Any other concerns or specifics you are adamant about?

Megabanzo

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
The fracture theory seems sound that's about the margin that cooling capacity has decreased by.
The budget for the parts is about two hundred each I suppose.

Aesthetics are irrelevant
Being able to upgrade would be preferred. Next thing I'm replacing will be motherboard
I was thinking these two for now.
Case: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CHASGT0400/Segotep-Halo-ATX-Mid-Tower-Case-with-3-x-Front-12C
Cooler: https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/FANCOR1003/Corsair-Hydro-Series-H100i-V2-High-Performance-Liq

The cooler comes with a bunch of fans. Not sure if that cooler will fit though.

Thanks for your help so far!

The H100i v2 is good.

The Segotep case, not so much IMO.

When it comes to cases, there is a lot more to it than most people think. I'd be glad to go into what the differences in quality are and why one case is a much better choice, and WHY that should matter to you, if you need or would like, but suffice to say that I would try to stay with cases in the mid to higher end range (And I realize prices are insanity on computer hardware in NZ and AU) made by NZXT, Fractal design, Corsair, Phanteks, Rosewill, SOME higher end Cooler Master (Have to be very picky about model on these as they have some really trashy units in addition to a few good ones) or BeQuiet.

Those are the brands that are likely to result in a product that will not warp, does not have cheap sharp case panels and edges inside, has good cable management features that make assembly and cable management much easier to deal with, higher quality components like mini boards on the front panel power and usb panel, and good accurate specifications and support for radiator or air cooler dimensions based on what model you are looking at.

To be blunt, that case is cheap and what you'll have in the end is a cheap case. Cheap doesn't mean good and in the long run, when stuff starts failing, it ends up being cheaper to spend a few bucks more from the start. Don't settle for cheap ass fans and poor build quality. Get yourself something that might last you through several upgrades or complete builds. That case will not make you happy by comparison.

Is that the only site you prefer to order from? I would be glad to help you find something that isn't outrageously expensive but is also a good product.

This is the the best case I see on there that has a fairly low price PLUS has good liquid cooling support, good quality, not great but at least decent fans and looks decent too. BUT you will need to move the two fans that it comes with in front to the rear and top rear position. This is ok, if you are going to get a 240mm water cooler like the H100i v2, as that will come with it's own two fans and you will mount the radiator and fans at the front of the case in an intake configuration. This way you will have two intake and two exhaust fans. Be sure to put the rear and top rear fans you move there so that the fan blade side is facing into the case and the side with the support frames facing out so they will be blowing out of the case.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CHAFRD0040/FRACTAL-DESIGN-Focus-G-Mid-Tower-Case---Black-with

This one is more expensive, but is a bit better than that one, and already has fans in the top and rear locations, so all you need to do is install your AIO cooler in the front location.

https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/CHANZX0501/NZXT-H500-Compact-ATX-Mid-Tower-Case---Tempered-Gl

Solution

Megabanzo

Reputable
Dec 1, 2015
https://imgur.com/a/ONWNqNf

Hey, so I got the parts, and a few of the plugs don't match the mobo. The jack for the front panel, i.e. power button and L.E.Ds does't fit. But I can get it to fit just the actual power part, is this advisable? i.e will it work but just none of the L.E.D's will work? And the usb for the the front panel also is some weird usb 3.1 thing I've never seen.

I added pics

First of all, that motherboard is EXTREMELY coated in dust. I'd advise either borrowing a compressor or taking it to somebody who has one, and blowing it off well. Or, get a can of compressed air from the store and blow it out.

Secondly, I'd contact NZXT on the case panel connector. There may be adapters available. I'll look into this.