Best/coolest radeon 4850 to buy?

i sea

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
im looking to put 2 radeon 4850's in my new system, and found ive got a bit of money left over. So rather than get the cheapes ones, i wanna get something that might have a better fan/heatsink/case to ensure its keeps itself cool or just a better rep/customer service. Can anyone recomend a brand that has decent aftermarket products on it rather than the cheap cases that have their stickers melt off? I dont really know if there is much of a difference with these cards but ive heard some bad stories with others. :??:

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Think they're all about the same right now. I think you'll need to wait a little longer to get one's with better coolers, or just change the cooler yourself.

All of them are the straight reference design right now, so unless the sticker affects cooling, you'll have to wait a bit before there will be anything with any lower temps than anything else.

i sea

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks guys, good to know. I just thought some might have a different shaped case or something, ill prob stick with stock unless i have a prob with heat or start overclocking.

jpbg

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
if not get the asus and install smartdoctor it comes on the cd and you cn control fan speed i set mine at 50% and its a quiet as my case fanson idle it sits at 40 C and on load it hits 63C max with the fan on 50%. so get 2 of the asus but make sure you have exhaust to pull out the heat because it is single slot

jpbg

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
oh and if you don;t have the best case ventilation then you should really just buy a 4870 because it exhausts the heat out side the case because its dual slot. so buy 1 and then when budget permits buy a second one

i sea

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks for the tip with the asus. Im planning on an antec 900 case now. Not sure how good it is compared to some others out there, but id think its good enough.