Best Cooling (Archive)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Corsair H105 over the H100i... No Corsairlink to complicate/cause issues; can use motherboard BIOS to control as needed. The H105 has two simple power/wire connections; connect pump directly to PSU and fan to CPU fan-header for the most efficient and performance experience.

Cooling capacity... I'm running an i7 4790K OC @4.5 on all cores (not too taxing) on a Gigabyte Z97X G1 Gaming. Idles @21*C. Max core temp(s) on games avg. is around 53*C.

This is with the stock Corsair fans, in a top-mount exhaust config in a TT Spedo Advance Package case and is near silent in operation.

Just my .02 cents.

D

Deleted member 217926

Surprised to not see the Phanteks PH TC-14PE on the list of high end air coolers. Based on another site's review I just went with one paired with some Corsair AF 140 fans on my new 6700K build.

magellan55

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
What no value leader on here? Where's the old standby 212 EVO? Great cooling with a lot less weight than these monsters and only $35 - probably the most popular cooler for gamers out there.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I still wish the venerable TRUE were included in these reviews, to give some kind of historical comparison with older reviews and existing data. Are modern coolers really that much better? I doubt it. Also, why no mention of the Phanteks which is in the same price range, or the Gelid SBE, Thermalright Archon/Silver Arrow, Thermaltake Frio or Cooler Master V8?

I love the RAIJINTEK Pallas. Got to 4.7Ghz on both i7 4790K and 4690K. I got a D15S to get to 4.8Ghz.

The Pallas also cools the motherboard and VRMs so it is an excellent cooler for AMD board where the CPU has been upgraded to a FX83?? and the original board has lighter VRM needs better heatsinking. The low profile and 140mm fan rock!

The Noctua S series coolers also have offset radiators so they clear the first PCIe slot on almost all mATX board and most memory too. That's why I'm using it, and even though has only one fan (another could be added) it is a great fan and cools very well.

Finally, I prefer horizontal motherboards and cube cases, like the Thermaltake Core V1 or V21 or X2 and they make transportation of big air much easier. My Core V21 has gone back and forward to students' homes and Science Fair safely. (It's a mATX cube case)

You can use the motherboard instead of Corsair Link on the H100i as well, it just has it as a feature. I actually have never had an issue with Corsair Link, I have used it on Windows 8, 8.1 and now 10 with each time it being detected and working.

That said, the H110i GT is probably the best one but TH has not reviewed any of the newer Corsair units yet.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
my h50 with push pull fans is fine for overclocking my i5 2500k to 4.3 , its above fine, on max temps of 60celsius (lol), and before that my i7 920 at 4.3ghz .

Chris Droste

Honorable
May 29, 2013
Cryorig R1 Ultimate here...
not as good a 'value' as the Big Noctura but looks better and cools better and has some of the best instructions/install kit accessories for any CPU cooler I've ever had. The R1 Universal is cheaper so it may in fact trade blows with the Noctura and look better doing it but I'm quite happy with what i got.

Oooo, will keep and eye out for those.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
On the day we reviewed it, it was the same price as the D14 and the D14 edged it out by a trivial amount (tenths of a degree as I recall). That still got the D14 an award though.

f-14

Distinguished
What no value leader on here? Where's the old standby 212 EVO? Great cooling with a lot less weight than these monsters and only $35 - probably the most popular cooler for gamers out there.
read the title of the article best cooling . price is not an object in best of the best of the best screw economy and value period.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wrong. The Recommended awards are all value-based.

Amdlova

Distinguished
Evo do a good job on low overclocking and low tdp. But put one of those on A FX CPU and u see that frying. best cooler i got in my life the thermaltake big typhoon vx it have cooled the pentium 4 d805 at 4.2ghz with no problems.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

I did that with an H100i after noticing interference on an ASUS board between Corsair Link and AI Suite II. Apparently a common issue. I found the ASUS sw worked better anyway.

I've not tried the H110i, but the H110 certainly works very well, just fitted one to a 3930K setup, though I replaced the fans with NDS PWM since the stock Corsair fans are kinda loud even at moderate speed.

In the UK, the Phanteks was quite a bit cheaper than the D14, and many reviews showed it beating the D14 aswell. Overall they're probably on a par, differences more down to individual units, builds, etc. But the price difference was too big to ignore, I saved more than 20 UKP getting the Phanteks. Switched to a different case and an H80 since then though.

Big air coolers like the D14 and Phanteks work well, my main gripe with them is the difficulty of reaching the mbd for maintenance. Using an AIO makes for such a clean looking build, though of course one must take care of chipset temps somehow. Here's am example pic of my most recent 3930K build with an H80 and GTX 980; much easier to do compared to fitting a big air cooler, especially wrt to GPUs on some boards being very close to the heatsink.

Mrinal_2

Commendable
Mar 8, 2016
so according to you guys the SilverStone Argon AR06 is the best as of yet? Well sadly its not available in India...from buing from amazon.com it costs around 60$ with shipping charges and import fees. Gues i have to go with that unfortunately.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That would be Reeven's RC-1001 Brontes for top pick if you can fit the slight extra width.

Status
Not open for further replies.