Best cooling for a new build?

maximob

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Hi everybody! I am new (or actually old..lol) to building (my last build was around 2001)...i bought a case antec 1200 v3, an intel 4790k, an asus sabertooth z97 mark 2 and i was wondering what cooling should i buy. I read that corsair H100i is the best, but this gigantic case has a 1 top 200mm fan, where you cannot fit the corsair h100i. What kind of cooling should I buy then?
Thanks in advance!

maximob

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
Unfortunatelly the Noctuas are not an option. I was doing some research and even though they have an amazing performance, the ideal set up is with 2 fans, which i can't use cuz i already bought the ram and they are "taller" than the clearance the noctuas have. I keep trying to find info in how to install a corsair H100i on top of the antec 1200 but i cannot find a video or pictures to see how to "adapt" the case to it. any other options? If i install an H80 (just 1 fan) would that be not enough cooling for this case or it would be ok?
Thanks again!

maximob

Reputable
Dec 13, 2014
i have never overclocked anything. I'm new to this but I want to build something that in 2 months i am not saying.."damn, if I should have bought..."
I am planning on play games and do some video editing with premiere and after effects. Don't really know how much overclocking will i need to do that... (thanks for the fast response, btw)

You will not need any overclocking to accomplish your goals.
Overclocking that chip is just a bonus.

Now that you've explained, I can safely say you will be happy with either a 212 evo (if it fits) or an h60/h80i.
You will be able to achieve a noticeable overclock (if desired) on any of those coolers.

You have a very powerful chip. Overclocking won't exactly be "necessary" as much as it would with buying a much less powerful chip.
However, you will also find the stock cooler to be quite loud.

That's another reason to effect your decision on buying an aftermarket cooler.