Question Best cooling for my cpu

Jan 7, 2020
Hi guys, im happy to join in this forum! I am going to upgrade my cpu to an i5 9600k and i am wondering what cooler use. I was using an old air cooling, so i want to go to AIO now, any suggestions?

TomRimChannel

Prominent
Oct 6, 2019
I used Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite ML240L RGB AIO CPU Liquid Cooler for one of the builds I did with a 9600k. OC'ed to 5.0ghz @1.35v. It idles at 33C and 77C underload. It's cheap too!

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The one i was talking about is only 75 dollars lol
That's short term only. They are more expensive than they appear to be.

Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L RGB VS a similarly priced be quiet! Dark Rock 4 :
Aio:
-those pumps don't last forever! You get what you pay for with these things. The ML240L only has a 2 year warranty; that speaks volumes about the company's confidence in that product, as well as it's overall quality.
Once the pump is shot, you have to replace the entire unit - so $75 or more for the next unit every 2 or 3 years.
-fans obviously don't last forever either, but should be much longer lived than a pump. $25 a fan - $50 if you get the 3-pack. Replace every 5-7 years.
-leaks: due to how uncommon they've become, I won't count them, but the chance is still there. Cost: OUCH.

Air cooler:
-fans. $25 every 5-7 years.
-heatsink is literally good for a lifetime.

After 5 years: $130 VS $75
After 10 years: $225-375 VS $100-125
[The cheaper ML240L will get replaced often enough that one will never need to buy a new set of fans. I didn't add the cost of replacement fans in because of that.]

Reactions: RodroX

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I would recommend good air cooling over an AIO, anyway.

Good air coolers are built very well and usually perform as good as AIOs.

AIOs are built with cheap components, low volume pumps and the entire unit costs what a single quality watercooling pump, block or radiator might cost.

AIOs are hoping that you are buying for the 'liquid cooling' experience, but you aren't getting actual high-end watercooling performance....and they're hoping you don't know the difference.

Reactions: Phaaze88 and RodroX
Air cooling is more high tech than water cooling. Water only works if it's much bigger.
In an air cooler the liquid inside evaporates and condenses continuosly. This is called Phase Change and removes a lot of heat.
A water loop just carries the heat away to be removed somewhere else. They're both limited by the temperature of the air in the room. Unless the water radiator is much bigger and has much more air flow it has no advantage. The biggest air cooler you can fit is often the best solution. But water loops outside the case have no size limit.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Watercooling and AIOs work on the same principles, but on different scales and levels of performance. Both use coolant, pumps, blocks and radiators, but the thermal capacities of each due to pump flowrate/volume, block efficiency, radiator volume/efficiency/materials used and of course, fans to move air through the radiators in question offer differences in how both perform.

That $100 AIO comes with a pump, fans, radiator, tubing, coolant in a single box. A single, quality watercooling pump or block might cost much more than that on it's own. Similar to how a Kia and Mercedes are both cars and work in the same manner, AIOs and custom watercooling offer price and performance in a similar comparison.

Jan 7, 2020
i have seen this coolers, NH-D15 chromax black, Deepcool assasin III and The NH-D15S, but my case is a NZXT s340 ATX. pcpartpicker show incompatibility with the first 3, but i saw some people use them in that case. So they fit or no?
my motherboard is an asus z370 prime A

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
i have seen this coolers, NH-D15 chromax black, Deepcool assasin III and The NH-D15S, but my case is a NZXT s340 ATX. pcpartpicker show incompatibility with the first 3, but i saw some people use them in that case. So they fit or no?
my motherboard is an asus z370 prime A
Well... : https://www.nzxt.com/products/s340-white
According to NZXT, cpu cooler clearance is 161mm. Out of those three, only the NH-D15S(160mm) should fit - just barely.
The other 2 are 165mms, so shouldn't fit.

Jan 7, 2020
well with that issue now i have the NH-U12S chromax black, NH-L9i chromax black, and the NH-D15S ( im not big fan of that brown color, but i guess i can change the fan). Wich one is the best and why?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)NH-D15S
2)NH-U12S
3)NH-L9i

If you haven't noticed yet, the size of the heatsink plays a large part in the thermal performance of an air cooler.
Top-down coolers are very limited in their ability to disperse heat. In most cases, are outperformed by tower coolers, save for maybe THIS thing: DARK ROCK TF. But it's just as tall as a tower cooler now...

Jan 7, 2020
Ok, now im between the NH-D15s and the Darkrock 4, from amazon the first one is in 196 usd ( I am not from U.S so that price is with the import taxes), and 123 usd in local store, the second one is 93 usd (with the import taxes) and i cant find it anywhere in local store.
I am not planning in doing Oc, so my final question, wich one worth the price?
Edit: darkrock 4 121 usd in local store