Question Best cooling for O11-dynamic XL

Apr 21, 2020
Good day everyone, I be leave I have a solution but would like a little more knowledge if possible.

So I have a dynamic XL case with

I will have these components,

6 Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB 120mm

1 Cooler Master Liquid ML360R Close-Loop AIO CPU Liquid Cooler, 360 Radiator

and for the video card

Gigabyte Radeon Rx 5700 Xt Gaming OC 8G

I was thinking 3 fans from the bottom aimed upward into my case with 3 fans on the top blowing out the same way so it would be a straight through and out, and the AIO cooler on the right hand side pulling cool air through the rad to cool it off.

but looking at this config im bringing in the hot air from the rad into case. any one have a better idea

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Scenario 1:
Side intake - ML360R in push-pull with 3 of those MF120Rs.
Top exhaust - the remaining 3 MF120Rs.
Done.

Scenario 2:
Side Intake - 3x MF120R
Top exhaust - ML360R
Done.
Optional: Bottom intake remaining 3 MF120Rs. Due to the hard restrictions to bottom case airflow, bottom intake/exhaust doesn't really do anything.
It's more for show.

Apr 21, 2020
Scenario 1:
Side intake - ML360R in push-pull with 3 of those MF120Rs.
Top exhaust - the remaining 3 MF120Rs.
Done.

Scenario 2:
Side Intake - 3x MF120R
Top exhaust - ML360R
Done.
Optional: Bottom intake remaining 3 MF120Rs. Due to the hard restrictions to bottom case airflow, bottom intake/exhaust doesn't really do anything.
It's more for show.

Thank you for the suggestions, I would like more fans to do a push pull on the rad. and for the 2nd scenario, wouldn't there be hot air pushing over through the rad as exhaust. if so would the rad being on the right be the lesser of 2 evils to bring cool air across it.

as far as the lower case fans the air flow is pretty open with the case being 3/4 of an inch in the air

and what about a positive air flow configuration would it help with cooling?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you for the suggestions, I would like more fans to do a push pull on the rad. and for the 2nd scenario, wouldn't there be hot air pushing over through the rad as exhaust. if so would the rad being on the right be the lesser of 2 evils to bring cool air across it.
With liquid cooling, you've got to 'pick your poison'.
Side mounted rad: cooler cpu and mobo VRM temps, warmer gpu temps.
Top mounted rad: cooler gpu temps, warmer cpu and mobo VRM temps.

as far as the lower case fans the air flow is pretty open with the case being 3/4 of an inch in the air
Not as much as you'd be left to believe:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3285-lian-li-o11-dynamic-review-benchmark-der8auer-case-design
Cpu and gpu torture results - note where the 3x bottom fan intake results stand compared to the other configurations.
Bottom fan is consistently at the bottom in both. The airflow coming from there is weak, and barely does anything for gpu temps.
You'll get more noise than lower temps putting fans there.

and what about a positive air flow configuration would it help with cooling?
Not really, no.

Sep 5, 2020
With liquid cooling, you've got to 'pick your poison'.
Side mounted rad: cooler cpu and mobo VRM temps, warmer gpu temps.
Top mounted rad: cooler gpu temps, warmer cpu and mobo VRM temps.

Not as much as you'd be left to believe:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3285-lian-li-o11-dynamic-review-benchmark-der8auer-case-design
Cpu and gpu torture results - note where the 3x bottom fan intake results stand compared to the other configurations.
Bottom fan is consistently at the bottom in both. The airflow coming from there is weak, and barely does anything for gpu temps.
You'll get more noise than lower temps putting fans there.

Not really, no.
The case you refer to with the GN link is the smaller version of the case. The XL version has enough space to fit a 60mm radiator at the bottom with fans.

3 bottom intakes would be highly effective in the o11D XL but not the smaller o11D case.
Here is the link for the GN Review of the XL case:
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3506-lian-li-o1-dynamic-xl-case-review-benchmarks