[SOLVED] Best cooling for Ryzen 5 2600X

Svalkash

Reputable
Dec 10, 2019
Hello. I've recently bought 2600X with stock cooler. Temps:
Idle 40-50C, gaming (Monster Hunter: World, does not heavy load this CPU, but... anyway) around 60C. When running stress test in AIDA64 - around 90C.

I'm thinking about buying DEEPCOOL Gammaxx 300R to reduce temps and noise. Is this cooler worth it or my temperatures aren't so bad?

Solution
Idle temps are meaningless for the most part, and you can throw out pre-conceived notions when dealing with Ryzens. They aren't Intel and don't work like Intel.

At idle, Intel cpu's cut frequency and its power requirements down across all the cores which lowers temps over the entire cpu, but all the cores remain active to some small degree. So windows/background tasks are split up amongst all the cores and you'll get the occasional spike upto mid 50's, generally staying around low 30's.

At idle with Ryzen, amd shuts down entire cores, leaving only one or two active and the whole workload of windows/background tasks is on that one/two cores. So only they are active, with a higher % load than any one Intel core, so temps will be...

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
AVX? Never heard about it. What is it?
They're a type of CPU instruction that typically result in maximum power/heat. The thing is most consumer applications (e.g. gaming) don't really use AVX much, so testing with AVX is sort of unrealistic for a lot of people.

You can apparently disable them for the AIDA64 stress test, but I don't use AIDA64 so I don't know how. You can try running Prime95 with AVX disabled, see here for instructions on how to disable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Idle temps are meaningless for the most part, and you can throw out pre-conceived notions when dealing with Ryzens. They aren't Intel and don't work like Intel.

At idle, Intel cpu's cut frequency and its power requirements down across all the cores which lowers temps over the entire cpu, but all the cores remain active to some small degree. So windows/background tasks are split up amongst all the cores and you'll get the occasional spike upto mid 50's, generally staying around low 30's.

At idle with Ryzen, amd shuts down entire cores, leaving only one or two active and the whole workload of windows/background tasks is on that one/two cores. So only they are active, with a higher % load than any one Intel core, so temps will be slightly higher, and more consistent. You'll get a more solid block of 50°C instead of the Intel spikes.

So your idle temps are perfectly normal for Ryzen, it's only 1 or 2 cores, loads will activate the remaining cores into use, so don't affect the cpu to as high a degree, they've got to get to the idle active core temp first.

60°C gaming, not too shabby at all. 90°C under stress, well that's a little much, but unless you are into serious cpu load programs like rendering, content creation, video editing and compiling, then you'll likely not ever see such cpu usage. So figure your worst cpu gaming will be between @ 70-80°C. Which still isn't bad.

Upgrade cooler? Sure, go for it. You can't over-cool a cpu, but sure can under-cool one. The stock amd Wraiths are very decent for what they are, stock, but you can always do better.

The Gammax 400 is better than the 300, which while better than the Wraith, isn't performance worth paying for, not enough of a difference except for sound volume. The 400 is eminently better suited all around.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS