GooTimo

Reputable
Jun 5, 2016
I am planning to upgrade from trash to a z490 Intel UD and an Intel 10600kf. I was planning to get a air cooler (cooler master mA620p) but apparently that cooler doesn’t fit in my case (NZXT S340)
Would a 2 fan hyper 212 black cool just fine? Or should I be looking elsewhere? My budget is somewhat limited as is my range in Australia.
Ps I have no intention of overclocking because I am lazy so cooling to that degree is unnecessary.

thanks all!

Noctua d15 if your up North.
And if you don't mind sliding your fan down about 4-5mm, since it's 165mm tall with the fan included and that case only supports coolers up to 161mm, and of course, if the height and configuration of your memory ALLOWS you to slide it down.

Personally, I'd look at the Thermalright True Spirit Direct 140, which is significantly more capable than any of the 120mm heatsinks, or any of the other slim single finstack 140mm heatsinks for that matter, but it's also about ten bucks more in your market where the 212 EVO runs about 55.00.

And if you don't mind sliding your fan down about 4-5mm, since it's 165mm tall with the fan included and that case only supports coolers up to 161mm, and of course, if the height and configuration of your memory ALLOWS you to slide it down.

Personally, I'd look at the Thermalright True Spirit Direct 140, which is significantly more capable than any of the 120mm heatsinks, or any of the other slim single finstack 140mm heatsinks for that matter, but it's also about ten bucks more in your market where the 212 EVO runs about 55.00.

I still stand by the Scythe Mugen 5 rev. B that you actually recommended to me, and I actually bought lol. In the long term it has been more than amazing.

Yes, that is a good cooler in markets where it isn't too expensive AND especially where height restrictions are a problem. In this case though, with a maximum height allowance of 161mm, there are a lot of pretty good coolers that can be fit under the hood. But it IS a good choice, depending on what all choices there are available. Unfortunately, Scythe products do not seem to be readily available through most retailers in Australia.

Reactions: Jason H.

GooTimo

Reputable
Jun 5, 2016
I’m not exactly sure what the exchange rate is but about 100aud with a little leeway north of that.
I’ve only got the stock fans atm as well.

the thermelite isn’t particularly available here in aus unfortunately. And the Noctua D15 is about $170 here so a bit out of my price range

Last edited:
More heat pipes mean better cooling in IMO. Hyper 212 Evo has 8 and ThermalRight True Spirit 140 has 5.

The 212 evo has 4, the true spirit has 5.
Not sure why you've doubled the amount on the evo?

The true spirit has more actual surface area on the heatsink itself, it may only make 5c difference or so but it'll do it more efficiently and at lower fan speed meaning less noise.

Absolutely worth the extra $10 over the old 212 for that point alone imo.

The true spirit has more actual surface area on the heatsink itself, it may only make 5c difference or so but it'll do it more efficiently and at lower fan speed meaning less noise.

According to the specs and photos' tell it differently. 212 EVO has 4pipes out of each side of the heatsink.
I've used a 212 before and there good.
Heat pipes on True spirit specs says 6mm heatpipe*5 units so cant tell from photo's and was not 100% sure however I certainly cant see 10 heatpipes on True spirit. All pipes coming from the heatsink help to cool.

dimtodim

Reputable
I am planning to upgrade from trash to a z490 Intel UD and an Intel 10600kf. I was planning to get a air cooler (cooler master mA620p) but apparently that cooler doesn’t fit in my case (NZXT S340)
Would a 2 fan hyper 212 black cool just fine? Or should I be looking elsewhere? My budget is somewhat limited as is my range in Australia.
Ps I have no intention of overclocking because I am lazy so cooling to that degree is unnecessary.

thanks all!
avoid that case and 212 cooler find something better...try

Actually, I've used the Direct 140 on a number of Ryzen systems recently, and even on the 3700x it did a good job. I wouldn't want to use it on any CPU with a higher TDP than that, but for that it was ok. Good in fact.

It's actually a very capable cooler.

Tweaktown and Tech PowerUp both show it having VERY favorable thermal results, in some cases only a few degrees away from the D15. I think that's unrealistic, but what do I know. Anandtech shows it having better or the same performance as the U14S which I KNOW for a fact is a very capable slim 140w cooler, at both 100w and 150w overclocked loads running on a thermal testing station (Anandtech), which is much more believable than the TH review showing that it barely beats a 120mm Gammaxx 400, even though that too is a good cooler for a smaller budget option. Much better than the 212 EVO in my experience and I've used both on many occasions.

Where in the name of GOD did you get the idea that the 212 EVO has 8 heat pipes? Jebus.

Even the NH-D15 has only six heat pipes, so I guess the 212 EVO must outperform that as well? LOL. C'mon man. (Yes, I'm giving you hell)
GIMY HELL Darkbreeze I can take it.
I see 4pipes out of each side of the heat sink so I count 8 and you want to shoot me. It's a matter of
interpretation so shoot me.

According to the specs and photos' tell it differently. 212 EVO has 4pipes out of each side of the heatsink.
I've used a 212 before and there good.
Heat pipes on True spirit specs says 6mm heatpipe*5 units so cant tell from photo's and was not 100% sure however I certainly cant see 10 heatpipes on True spirit. All pipes coming from the heatsink help to cool.
Not sure why you didn't know that, but that's pretty standard knowledge. Four heat pipe has 8 "pipes" but is really only a single pipe running the length of the cooler from one side down through the baseplate and back up through the finstack again. Soldered at both ends. A five heatpipe actually looks like ten "pipes". Etc. Etc.

24-242843_cartoon-gun-png-family-guy-characters.png

Not sure why you didn't know that, but that's pretty standard knowledge. Four heat pipe has 8 "pipes" but is really only a single pipe running the length of the cooler from one side down through the baseplate and back up through the finstack again. Soldered at both ends. A five heatpipe actually looks like ten "pipes". Etc. Etc.

24-242843_cartoon-gun-png-family-guy-characters.png
OK if that's the case then I'm wrong. You got me nullified and I admit it. Could you.
I don't use Air coolers so based my comments on what I observed.