Best core i7 920 air coller that will fit my board and ram

chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008
I have been struggling with a narrow case and am going through the process of modding it to allow a full size air cooler.

I read through this thread, and there were a ton of suggestions. One of the concerns was ram size.

I am running a EVGA E760 CLASSIFIED and CORSAIR DOMINATOR 6GB ram. Yes, the ram is a bit tall.

I hear the Noctua NH-D14 is good, but man that sucker is big. I am concerned that it won't fit.

I don't want something super loud, but it does not need to be super quiet as I am already running 13 case fans.

I am looking for a decent oc and the ability to fold 24/7 when not gaming.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=544&Itemid=62&limit=1&limitstart=13

1. ProlimaTech Megahalems: Using the best mounting system we've ever tested this heatsink delivers extraordinary contact surface pressure between the processor and polished base. The results produce the best cooling performance we've seen. As of July 2010 the ProlimaTech Megahalems was available at FrozenCPU for $61.99, or from NewEgg for $62.00. AMD users will also want the AM2/AM2+/AM3 mounting kit from FrozenCPU for an extra $10. Adding two high-output cooling fans will make Megahalems unstoppable.

2. Thermalright Venomous-X RT: The new 'Pressure Vault' mounting system offers incredible contact pressure, and pairs a polished contact surface to densely packed heatsink that supports two 120mm cooling fans. The Venomous-X RT kit costs $68, and includes AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3 mounting hardware and one 120mm cooling fan. As a standalone CPU cooler, Venomous-X delivers on its years of past design experience.

3. Scythe Mugen-2 SCMG-2100: Trailing right behind the two leaders is the $35 Mugen-2 cooler, which already includes AMD mounting hardware and a premium Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slip-Stream fan... all for only half the cost of the the other two options. The SCMG-2100 model has already received our Editor's Choice Award honorable mention pertaining to value, and it consistently finishes at the very top. The Scythe Mugen-2 Revision B model SCMG-2100 heatsink is identical to the first version, model SCMG-2000, but SCMG-2100 includes a newly developed F.M.S.B. (Flip Mount Super Back-Plate) for more convenient mounting onto the motherboard and the thermal paste has been replaced by SCYTE-1000.

4. Cogage Arrow CPU-TRI-72: This dual-tower giant comes equipped with on 120mm cooling fan and Intel mounting hardware. Although our tests of the Cogage Arrow have never placed its performance above the previously listed heatsinks, the potential is certainly there. Priced at $70 before an optional AMD AM2/AM2+/AM3 mounting system for $10, the Cogage Arrow could tame your overclocked beast... presuming the cage is large enough.

5. Xigmatek Balder SD1283: Based on the original HDT-S1283 design, Balder offers some subtle improvements that help it maintain top-rated cooling performance in our tests. While the Balder kit includes a bolt-through mounting kit and costs $45, the original Xigmatek HDT-S1283 model uses push-pin clips and sells for $35. If you like the HDT-S1283 design but don't have much money, the Kingwin RVT-12025 is an identical clone that sells for only $22.

That's a lotta money for CAS 8 RAM, if you can return, here's a low profile cheaper alternative which is CAS 6:

Mushkin Enhanced Redline 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Model 998805 $175
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226121

I can confirm that they clear the Megahalems. Whether it fits ya case is something you will need to determine with a ruler or by calling TS.

D-14 most likely won't fit, as it doesn't fit most cases, plus you have dominator ram, which has those heat spreaders on top that make it a bit taller and that would make the D14 not compatible. Any ram 41mm or below fits the D14 fine though. of all of the ones in that article. I'd actually recommend the Cooler Master 212+ it's not expensive like many of those at 25$ on Amazon, and although the stock cooling is loud you could get two Thermalright TR-FDB-12 (they're basically high rpm scythe slipstreams but with faster rpms) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835109027

Those would put the cooler at 45$ which I think is a great deal for its cooling performance.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/19383-cooler-master-hyper-212-plus-cpu-cooler-review-10.html

chedderslam1976 this is like your 3rd post regarding this matter.
And i know you're pretty much limited to coolers under 150mm tall.
I'll assume i'm correct about your cooler limitations.
This is probably your best option if it will fit.
NH-U9B SE2- $59.99 125mm tall and 95mm wide.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=32&lng=en&set=1

chedderslam1976

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2008

Yes, I have posted a few times but I am exploring a few options. My money is tight(I was laid off a bit ago) and I am trying to make the right decision.

I have the option of paying quite a bit of money to modify my (very expensive already) case. I am looking at $125 for a custom backplate that will move the two motherboards in the case closer together, creating more clearance and allow me to use a larger cooler. I would have to buy a cooler on top of that.

The other option is to go with a 92 mm cooler, but I am concerned about performance.

I just bought this cooler:
Noctua NH-C12P SE14 140mm SSO CPU Cooler

But the performance is poor. Right now it is 81 degrees F in my room, and the cpu is idling at 56-57 C. Under load it goes to 76C.

So I have to decide if I spend all that money to go to a full size cooler that will work, try a 92mm one, or try, once again with the current cooler reapplying TIM.

What would you do?

Those temps are ridiculous even if your room temp is hot.
Could it be a possibility that you've placed your cooler fan in the wrong direction?
The fan should be pulling the heat up and out from your mobo.

Agges

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
I have the Noctua NH-C12P - without the SE14, still have not modded it to fit the 140mm fan - with a room temperature of 25 degrees celcius the load temps do not not exceed 62 degrees.. So sounds like you need to re-seat the heat sink.