Question Best cpu and cpu cooler?

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
Im trying to decide on a cpu
1.i9-9900K
2. I7-9700K
3.i9-9900KF
Right now i am looking at a be quiet dark rock 4 pro and the motherboard im looking at getting is a msi mpg z390 gaming pro carbon LGA1151 motherboard im trying to stay away from liquid coolers so i dont have to do maintenance. I prefer air coolers and im not on any budget. Im looking for a good cpu thatll last me forever. I do mostly gaming and want to stream. Like i said im on no budget but is that a good cooler? The be quiet dark rock 4 pro?

Last edited:
No CPU will last you forever. That's a fantasy.

If you are looking to game AND stream, or run any other kind of heavy multitasking, then you probably want to get away from the Intel offerings and go with something from the latest Ryzen generation.

This would be my recommendation and the performance for a streaming gamer will usually be somewhat better than for one using a 9900k. Plus, it will use a lot less power, create a lot less heat, NOT require the same kind of cooling and you will not get good results with a 9900k or KF on air OR with an AIO liquid cooler. You really need either a custom loop or a very good top shelf air cooler AND exception case airflow to even moderately manage thermals on the 9900k. It is literally almost as bad as those old FX 9590 CPUs when it comes to heat.

This is a much wiser decision and a lot less expensive as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright MACHO Rev.C 84.97 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Total: $494.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-27 17:22 EST-0500

That's a great motherboard that can handle even the massive Ryzen 3950x. And that 8 core CPU with 16 threads can handle ANY kind of gaming and streaming or other high end application use you want to throw at it.

I would expect this to be enough to handle anything you want to do for the next five to seven years. And if you find performance lacking down the road, there will be higher end CPUs you can upgrade to at that time using the same motherboard.

FluffyButtonsXD

Reputable
Jan 1, 2020
No CPU will last you forever. That's a fantasy.

If you are looking to game AND stream, or run any other kind of heavy multitasking, then you probably want to get away from the Intel offerings and go with something from the latest Ryzen generation.

This would be my recommendation and the performance for a streaming gamer will usually be somewhat better than for one using a 9900k. Plus, it will use a lot less power, create a lot less heat, NOT require the same kind of cooling and you will not get good results with a 9900k or KF on air OR with an AIO liquid cooler. You really need either a custom loop or a very good top shelf air cooler AND exception case airflow to even moderately manage thermals on the 9900k. It is literally almost as bad as those old FX 9590 CPUs when it comes to heat.

This is a much wiser decision and a lot less expensive as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($324.99 @ B&H)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright MACHO Rev.C 84.97 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ B&H)
Total: $494.97
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-27 17:22 EST-0500

That's a great motherboard that can handle even the massive Ryzen 3950x. And that 8 core CPU with 16 threads can handle ANY kind of gaming and streaming or other high end application use you want to throw at it.

I would expect this to be enough to handle anything you want to do for the next five to seven years. And if you find performance lacking down the road, there will be higher end CPUs you can upgrade to at that time using the same motherboard.
I understand, i just liked to stick with intel. I did plan on getting a rx 5700 xt gpu as well, is udating bios hard? I find whenever i pick an amd cpu or mobo it alerts me about updates on “pc part picker”

Well, then you could certainly do this, but it seems like a waste of money to get about the same performance as what I listed up above.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900KF 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($478.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 CHROMAX.BLACK 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($193.01 @ Amazon)
Total: $771.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-28 02:33 EST-0500