Question Best CPU choice

D

Deleted member 1272431

I am looking for a CPU to upgrade my Proliant Gen8 Microserver from HP Enterprise.
It has to be a server CPU (will always be on, no desktop CPUs then) and must handle a couple of Plex transcoding at the same time while running IIS for ownCloud. Server will be running Windows Server 2016.

Mounting 16GB of RAM which is the maximum allowed I believe.
Any suggestions on the CPU I might use?

kanewolf

Titan
I am looking for a CPU to upgrade my Proliant Gen8 Microserver from HP Enterprise.
It has to be a server CPU (will always be on, no desktop CPUs then) and must handle a couple of Plex transcoding at the same time while running IIS for ownCloud. Server will be running Windows Server 2016.

Mounting 16GB of RAM which is the maximum allowed I believe.
Any suggestions on the CPU I might use?
Is this a CPU upgrade for the HP motherboard or a replacement for the Microserver? It isn't clear from your original post...
What CPU do you have?
That server was sold with a limited number of CPU choices -- All low power, all dual core. I would not recommend anything but complete replacement.
That server came with "desktop" CPUS. Celeron, Pentium and i3 CPUs. Your dismissal of "desktop" CPUs is unwarranted.

D

Deleted member 1272431

Thanks for your reply. It would replace the current CPU (Celeron G1610T @2.30) on the motherboard which came with the server.

I wrote server CPUs because the machine will indeed be running 24/7 until something needs replacing. Since the GPU needs me to disassemble everything I would have bought something server-grade because usually componentwise it’s more durable, also considering that I would probably buy that second hand.
Let me know what you think.
thanks

D

Deleted member 1272431

Is this a CPU upgrade for the HP motherboard or a replacement for the Microserver? It isn't clear from your original post...
What CPU do you have?
That server was sold with a limited number of CPU choices -- All low power, all dual core. I would not recommend anything but complete replacement.
That server came with "desktop" CPUS. Celeron, Pentium and i3 CPUs. Your dismissal of "desktop" CPUs is unwarranted.

Also, and this is off topic but I see you know quite some stuff, I was going to replace the HDDs with 4x8TB WD RED but HP states max storage is 4x4TB. Do you reckon it would still work?
Would it affect the raid controller?