Question Best CPU cooler option for Node 202?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerk103

Prominent
Feb 8, 2018
ive been looking into making my PC into a small console PC, and ive been looking at the node 202 and the silverstone RVZ03b. Im personally liking the silverstone more because of more 2.5" drive space and more cooler clearance. but either one i get will decide on the cooler i will get. ill be purchasing a i7 8700k if possible with a good enough cpu cooler to run it. if anyone has any suggestions on the best cooler that could be under 50-60mm that could possibly cool the i7 8700k then that would be much appreciated. and also what case you think i should get the node 202 or rvz03b.

Solution
8700K has a high stock clock rate, that is going to require good cooling in a small case.
Do not plan on overclocking.
The rvz03b has 83mm available for a cooler, the node 202 has only 56mm.
You need all the cooling you can get.
The rvz03b looks best to me.
For an air cooler, look at the noctua NH-L12s.
Here are the noctua tdp guidelines:
https://noctua.at/en/nh_l12s_tdp_guidelines
You probably should install the extra 120mm fan.

Look for a graphics card with a blower style cooler that will get hot air directly out the back of your case.

8700K has a high stock clock rate, that is going to require good cooling in a small case.
Do not plan on overclocking.
The rvz03b has 83mm available for a cooler, the node 202 has only 56mm.
You need all the cooling you can get.
The rvz03b looks best to me.
For an air cooler, look at the noctua NH-L12s.
Here are the noctua tdp guidelines:
https://noctua.at/en/nh_l12s_tdp_guidelines
You probably should install the extra 120mm fan.

Look for a graphics card with a blower style cooler that will get hot air directly out the back of your case.

Solution
what geofelt said X2 - i built a PC in a silverstone SFF case with a 4790(non-k), 84 watt TDP and had issues with high temps because of poor air movement thru the case. I moved the setup to a Micro-ATX case (Aerocool) and temps came down to a decent range.

You might reconsider if you're planning to do any sort of work or use that involves heavy loads on the CPU

Nov 22, 2019
I'm writing in this thread to all of You who looking for best cooler for Node 202 and reads all threads on many sites like I did one month ago.
I have Intel i5 9600K on ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX and bought Nocuta NH-L9i - You have to be very careful with this cooler to mount it in the right way. First I mounted it in the way that RAM covered all side of the Noctua and air can't escaped that direction. I had to rotate the Cooler that air had maximum space to escape from it.
I bought 2x8GB RAM modules with normal high and beautiful radiator on it, and it was bad idea. They fits hard into the slots side by side and just touches the radiator. Look for low profile RAM without or with very thin radiator.
Temperatures on NH-L9i was very high, so I ordered bigger, optional fan for it. It was better, but not satisfying and there ware lots of space above the cooler to top of Node 202. I started to looking for something else.
Scythe Big Shuriken 2 is not available in my country, and Cryorig C7 is only 47mm, so lots of space unused in the case.
Then I found SilverStone Argon SST-AR06. It's 58mm high (same as BIG Shuriken 2), 4 heat pipes and radiator from top to bottom. Fan is as same loud (quiet) as this from Noctua and the temperatures are the same with original fan and the fan from NH-L9i. I stay with Noctua fan, because it has less vibrations. The SilverStone fits perfectly on ASRock. It's touching second, small power plug, but everything is grate. 1mm more from heat pipes side and it won't fit. Node 202 closes perfectly. You don't have to dismount any dust filter or so.
I recommend this cooler very much.
You can find the same post (copy&paste) on some other forums, so maybe it helps someone.

Reactions: ThatThereTim
Status
Not open for further replies.