Question Best CPU Cooler Type Non A/C Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
What would be the better type of cpu cooler for a non air condition room? It gets very warm in the Summer. I've looked at liquid vs air cooler comparisons and know they are similar at cooling but I can't find any with a recommendation when not in a temperature controlled environment. My cpu is i7 13700k.

What would be the better type of cpu cooler for a non air condition room? It gets very warm in the Summer. I've looked at liquid vs air cooler comparisons and know they are similar at cooling but I can't find any with a recommendation when not in a temperature controlled environment. My cpu is i7 13700k.

Many factors you have not mentioned:

Your sensitivity to noise.

Your sensitivity to temps. Do you care if CPU temp is 74 rather than 64?

Your budget

Your willingness to deal with liquid cooling maintenance

Your case's airflow characteristics

Your case fan setup; what fans, what RPM; where mounted

Your willingness to tinker and experiment.

Your CPU load at any given moment. High load, 200 watts? Usually near idle, under 75 watts somewhere?

What else inside the case might be throwing off a lot of heat. Video card under high load most of the time? Or an hour a day?

The fact that you lack air conditioning should not matter in and of itself. Your cooler won't know that. What does matter is your room temperature and the temperature inside your PC case.

Most will point you to a big air cooler or liquid for a 13700k, but for all we know you won't be stressing it at all.

How hot does it actually get in your room during the warmest part of the year? 81 F? 91 F? 101 F?

Reactions: Phaaze88

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
To add to the above, when there is no AC, you should put a higher priority on applying power limits to your hardware(cpu/gpu).
Even the largest compatible coolers for your case are moot if you allow the hardware to pull as much power as it wants; room is still going to get toasty.
As for how far you should go on the limits, you'll have to experiment a little on that one.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
Silverstone Fara R1, 3x120 front mounted noctua nf-a12x25 pwm, 1x120 rear mounted noctua nf-a12x25 pwm, 1 top mounted 140 noctua nf-a14 pwm second top 140 not mounted due to clearance with motherboard , Noctua nh-d15 cpu cooler with single nf-a15 140 pwm fan mounted vertical for bottom to top air flow due to motherboard clearance. Room easily reaches 90F. I do encoding with handbrake most of the time and some gaming/watching streaming video. Fans ramp loudly wouldn't mind a bit less noise, ok with aio probably not full custom liquid, budget pretty high. Open to getting different case/cooler/fans.

Silverstone Fara R1 Case
Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4
I7 13700K
32GB DDR4 GSkill 3600C14
Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8g
2x1TB M.2

purple_dragon

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2012
To add to the above, when there is no AC, you should put a higher priority on applying power limits to your hardware(cpu/gpu).
Even the largest compatible coolers for your case are moot if you allow the hardware to pull as much power as it wants; room is still going to get toasty.
As for how far you should go on the limits, you'll have to experiment a little on that one.
Yes, I've been watching videos about power limiting 13th gen Intel. Just don't want to lose to much performance while doing it.

Silverstone Fara R1, 3x120 front mounted noctua nf-a12x25 pwm, 1x120 rear mounted noctua nf-a12x25 pwm, 1 top mounted 140 noctua nf-a14 pwm second top 140 not mounted due to clearance with motherboard , Noctua nh-d15 cpu cooler with single nf-a15 140 pwm fan mounted vertical for bottom to top air flow due to motherboard clearance. Room easily reaches 90F. I do encoding with handbrake most of the time and some gaming/watching streaming video. Fans ramp loudly wouldn't mind a bit less noise, ok with aio probably not full custom liquid, budget pretty high. Open to getting different case/cooler/fans.

Silverstone Fara R1 Case
Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4
I7 13700K
32GB DDR4 GSkill 3600C14
Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC 8g
2x1TB M.2

When did you build this?

Where are you?

Has it operated during the hottest time of the year, wherever you are?

Suppose temp is X in your room.

How far above X are your CPU temps...at idle and under a big load?

Test that and tell us if you are OK with those results.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, I've been watching videos about power limiting 13th gen Intel. Just don't want to lose to much performance while doing it.
I don't know what you were looking at, but it's not that bad. A happy medium can be found. Besides, that's really your best option with no AC available.
The room will still get warm in the summer, even with liquid cooling. Some folks mistake operating temperatures for their rooms getting hot - instead, it's the power the system uses.

You want to manage room temperature more effectively? Then use lower power limits.
13700K at 90C Vs 13700K at 75C = you're left with an equally warm room in either case, if the power use is the same.

If the cpu is left to its own devices, a liquid cooler will enable HIGHER power use, as one of the greatest advantages of these coolers over air is lower operating temperatures under sustained, high power loads.
There aren't too many air coolers - if any - that could handle a sustained 253w load for a long period, so they would cause the cpu to throttle, and that would cause the power use to go down briefly, leading to the average power use being lower Vs liquid.

TL;DR: Power limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS