Best CPU cooling for CM K282 and GB Z87M-D3HP?

May 2, 2013
Hi there,

So, I am pretty new with OC but I tried to OC my 4770k to 4.2ghz (~1.2 Vcore) and I am getting really high temps (up to 100C after a minute of Prime95 stress test). Maybe the thermal paste wasn't applied correctly, but still, I would like to upgrade my CPU cooler regardless to reach maybe 4.4Ghz or so (at stock clock, it doesn't go past 70C).
Here's my setup:

Gigabyte Z87M-D3HP Intel Z87 S1150

Coolermaster RC-K282-KKN1 K282 USB3.0 Mid Tower Case

2x4g g skill ripjaw 2600 DDR3 RAM
GTX 760 2gig
750W PSU

From my research, it seems like the Noctua D14 is one of the best air cooler, but it seems massive for my setup (160mm high, and about ~140x150mm width/ length). It seems unlikely it would fit? According to my PC case specs, it can handle up to 163mm high cpu cooler but still, it doesn't seem like I would have enough clearance on each side before it hits the RAM or GPU.

The H80i is supposed to be pretty good, and somewhat smaller, but a bit wary of the potential damage of watercooler leaks. Thoughts?

So I am looking for the best CPU (up to about $100) that would actually fit in my case. Any recommendations?

counterc

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
Your idle Temp is way too high so I would suggest backing down your OC till you can get a proper cooler for it. Although you can run your CPU up to 105C before it starts to clock its self down you really dont want to play with temps as high as you currently have at idle.
With that being said, something like the H80I is perfect for what you are trying to do with the case you have. I use Corsair AIO (All in one) coolers all the time and you have no worries about water leakage unless you try to remove the connectors which there is not reason to do so. They are a trusted company and make great products. The water block has a much lower headroom and you wont have to worry about what kind of memory you have or anything like that. In addition, the H80I is very simple to install.

I hope this helps.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
With that board will there probably be a limit on what you can do so get a nice and decent cooler without overdoing it like the next,
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rrt61220pkr1
or for watercooling,
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/part/thermaltake-cpu-cooler-clw0215
i do think that the nh-d14 will fit so that is a good choice too.it does support most of the gskill ram like the ones with jagged edges.There's a compatibility list on the site of noctua.If you really want to spend this kind of money is it a very good choice.

May 2, 2013
Thanks. Well, I was getting 100C during a CPU stress test, at idle it was about 40-50C. Still, too high, I know :(
After a bit more research, it looks like the max weight for the CPU cooler recommended on my mobo is about 500g (1lb) so the 1+kg (2lbs) Noctua D14 is probably not a good idea, even if it fits.
Vic 40, thanks for the recommendation, however, it seems like neither lists my mobo as compatible. there is the GA-Z87X-HD3 but not the GA-Z87M-D3HP, so not 100% sure they'd fit.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
All three coolers mentioned in my previous post are compatible with your motherboard since it's socket 1150 and even coolers listed as just compatible to 1155/56 are compatible looking at the fact that all retention holes are at the same distance.

About the weight,that's why they use backplates with these coolers so that the weight pressure get's more evenly/better distributed to the board.With backplates the pressure isn't just at four points,but at the whole section around the cpu socket.

I think you'll be fine with the nh-d14 and otherwise wil the watercooler option be a good choice too.The thermaltake cooler doesn't put that weight to the motherboard.

May 2, 2013
Right, sorry I meant I wasn't sure if the CPU coolers would fit, more so than being compatible.
Good to know about the backplates supporting the weight. It totally makes sense!

Measured a few things this morning, so it looks like the available room is going to seriously limit my choices. I measured about 170mm height (from the top of the case to the GPU), and 130mm width (from the mobo to the edge of the case (where the current 120x120mm case fan is located)). And around the cpu: 160mm in height, 130mm (maybe a bit more) from the top of the case, straight above the CPU, to the GPU and ~140mm from the fan to the ram.
Looks like the CM TPC 612 and evo 212 should fit though.