Best CPU Fan/Heatsink for Extreme Gaming

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
I'm looking for the best available cpu fan/heatsink combo for the following processors:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ (2.40GHz) Socket 939
AMD Athlon 64 FX-60 (2.60GHz) Socket 939

Intel Pentium D 950 (3.40GHz) Socket 775
Intel Pentium 955 (3.46GHz) Extreme Edition Socket 775

I'm aware that other cooling solutions such as water cooling and liquid nitrogen are much more effective, but I'm looking for something more practical, flexible and not a potential hazard. It doesn't really matter how much it costs, whether $10 or $100, as long as it is highly effective.

I am looking for a solution that will allow any of the above processors to run at or under 55C when under Full Load (example; FEAR with all options enabled, mpeg-2, high def, video encoding, etc) and 30s or 40s when idle. Is this realistic using a fan/heatsink with Arctic Silver? I'm considering putting together 2 boxes for myself; one AMD machine for gaming and one Intel machine for A/V stuff, mpeg-2, high definition, etc. I figure I might need a more powerful PSU if I get any of the above processors, such as 550W or above. Keep in mind, these systems will be OC'd. Thanks.

-- MaSoP

NOTE: My current case/ps consists of...

Antec Performance Series II SOHO File Server Tower ATX Case
Antec NeoHE 480 PSU

clue69less

Splendid
Mar 2, 2006
I am looking for a solution that will allow any of the above processors to run at or under 55C when under Full Load (example; FEAR with all options enabled, mpeg-2, high def, video encoding, etc) and 30s or 40s when idle. Is this realistic using a fan/heatsink with Arctic Silver? I'm considering putting together 2 boxes for myself; one AMD machine for gaming and one Intel machine for A/V stuff, mpeg-2, high definition, etc. I figure I might need a more powerful PSU if I get any of the above processors, such as 550W or above. Keep in mind, these systems will be OC'd.

I got a Zalman 9500 for an AMD4400+ and am happy with it thus far. The highest load temp I've seen yet is 42C non OC'ed, 43-44 with ~10%OC. I know I read a review somewhere recently where they compared the Zalman 9500 to a ThermalTake HSF and a few others (I forget who makes the Samurai). I think the Zalman came in second in that test, so shop around. If you go to Vantec's "where to buy" page, you get a bunch of links to places that specialize in selling cooling parts.

yourmothersanastronaut

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2006
Did you already get the CPUs? If you didn't, I would suggest looking into the 939 Opteron dual-core chips. The stock cooler on those puppies is roughly equal to the Thermalright XP-90, and runs pretty quiet. If not, Go with a Thermalright XP-90c (the copper version), XP-120, or SI-120. The 120 versions can accept a 120 mm fan for extra cooling, while the 90 can hold a 92mm.

These are large, bulky coolers, and are very difficult to put in, but won't damage anything if you do it correctly. I believe they fit both AMD and Intel chips, but poke around before you buy them.

BTW, Zalmans are nice and very quiet, but they tend to lose their effectiveness at higher temperatures.