Question Best CPU for 4k 60hz gaming (as well as future proof for next generation consoles)

DaveB_55

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Hi, I wanted to build a PC that will accomodate 4k gaming on a 60hz monitor but I wasn't sure about the CPU considering what type of architecture that the next generation of gaming consoles will utilize. For instance, would a 9900k be overkill even considering that it has been speculated that the next PS5 will be possibly using a Ryzen based CPU architecture? Either way I have already gone about acquiring all other parts for my PC build:

Corsair 750D Obsidian Airflow Edition
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC Z390
2x G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz DDR4
MSI Gaming X Geforce GTX 1080Ti
Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler
Seasonic FOCUS 750W Gold 80+

Last edited:
what the consoles or next gen of consoles is using is not really relevant to what you should put in a PC...

At least for PC gaming, gaming at 4k lowers the amount of CPU needed as 80-90% of the load/burden is shifted to the GPU...

I'd think the 9700K would be plenty of processor for years to come, but, as newer games come out, even the 1080Ti will eventually be relegated to medium settings, but, hopefully that will take several years...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With Intel there's no such thing as 'future proof'. They are still debating whether the lga1151 v2 will carry over to the new 10th gen cpus, or if it'll be different.

The only future proofing you can do is go one or two steps higher than what's necessary now. Games are looking for an absolute minimum of quad thread, recommended 6 thread and performance 8 thread. Whatever gets you beyond 60fps at 1080p will do the same at 4k, resolution is nothing to a cpu. That's all gpu.

So you'd be looking for minimum 8 threads - 12 threads. Anything less would be using what's current, and out-moded tomorrow.

That means the 9700k or at least a Ryzen 2600/X and that'll last for several years. My i7-3770K plays anything I play at over 60fps.

The 8700k is still a powerhouse cpu, but at its heart is still a 6c cpu, with reliance on hyperthreading to make up the difference, topping the 9700k only in select apps that can use upto 12 threads.

TRENDING THREADS