[SOLVED] Best cpu for a machine running 75 vms

Mar 11, 2020
I want to build a computer that could run up to 75 vm's. I have no clue where to even start with this. The vm's will be windows 10-32bit

Solution
I want to build a computer that could run up to 75 vm's. I have no clue where to even start with this. The vm's will be windows 10-32bit
75 virtual machines.

You cannot do this on a single host PC.
Period.

Even at the bottom level of RAM for Win 10, that will consume 150GB RAM for those VM's.

Now....what are you actually wanting to do?

USAFRet

Titan
75 virtual machines.

You cannot do this on a single host PC.
Period.

Even at the bottom level of RAM for Win 10, that will consume 150GB RAM for those VM's.

Now....what are you actually wanting to do?

Solution

USAFRet

Titan
4x VM's at 4GB each.
ReCLOlO.png

D

Deleted member 14196

Even a thread ripper is not enough for 75 Vm that is just a ridiculous number. No PC can do this none

CPU gets stressed the most and i don't care about it being quiet
What about cost? If cost is no object then a new 2u rack server with dual processors and a chunk of ram will do it well.

If cost is a concern, a Dell R720 with dual e5-2695 v2 processors will give you about 24c/48t to work with. You could load it up with about 128-256gb of ram and enough storage for your VMs and have decent performance to work with assuming you will not have all 75 VMs maxing out their assigned hardware simultaneously.

The cheapest answer is to buy several used 2U servers. DL380s. It won't be quiet and it won't be energy efficient, but it would allow you to scale the number of instances as large as desired.
I don't think you would need more than one server as long as you get one powerful enough. The newest generation 2u servers like the Dell R740 have up to dual 28c/56t (xeon 8110) which in a dual config will easily handle the requirement. Of course, you're looking at higher 4-figure budget for something like this.