Question Best CPU for affordable build- Ryzen 5 2400G?

Mar 26, 2019
I am currently looking online for computer parts to get my first build started and came across the ryzen 5 2400g (had a dedicated graphcis card). Because I plan to slowly upgrade the computer over time, is this a good place to start in the build? I can add better gpus to the build afterwards right?

Well, 2400g is fastest APU with best graphics right now with new and even better ones of Ryzen 3000 series is coming in a few months, so if you want integrated graphics with best performance, then it's only one to consider, just for reference, it's performance is about same as with GT 1050 for instance. As it uses system RAM, it's best to get RAM in dual channel of 3200MHz.
That also means you have to use half decent MB with at least b450 chipset as those are also essential for further upgrades.
CPU part itself, with 4 cores and 8 threads, is also decent and will be good match for much stronger dedicated GPUs.

Reactions: heeebsinc
I can spend around 400-500 right now. Most likely will upgrade heavily on the graphics card in the near future; for now, just trying to get a gaming pc as fast and efficiently as possible.
Again, thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it

Do you have any hardware on hand? You hinted you had a dedicated GPU before, do you have a case or PSU? If you do, what type/models are they?

$400 is a decent budget to get into a Ryzen build if looking at just mobo/processor/memory. But if you throw in GPU/PSU/Case you have to start looking at compromises. A 2400G is a good compromise, but don't cheap out too much on the motherboard and you'll be in good shape for later upgrades.

Reactions: heeebsinc
Mar 26, 2019
Do you have any hardware on hand? You hinted you had a dedicated GPU before, do you have a case or PSU? If you do, what type/models are they?

$400 is a decent budget to get into a Ryzen build if looking at just mobo/processor/memory. But if you throw in GPU/PSU/Case you have to start looking at compromises. A 2400G is a good compromise, but don't cheap out too much on the motherboard and you'll be in good shape for later upgrades.
I havnt bought any parts at the moment, and wanted to make sure the things I should buy first for my build. Now, I plan on buying a Asrock B450 motherboard and ryzen 5 2400g. Apart from that, Im not sure what the next step is, and what exactly are the parts I need to consider for an upgradable build in the future. Because I want to get right in as soon as possible, I figured an integrated GPU is the right move, considering I can upgrade to maybe a 1080 later on if I really enjoy PC gaming.

Mar 26, 2019
Also, I consulted with some peers that like to think of themselves as "experts" in gaming, and they mentioned that for price, the 2200g may be a better purchase than 2400g?

Mar 26, 2019
Well, 2400g is fastest APU with best graphics right now with new and even better ones of Ryzen 3000 series is coming in a few months, so if you want integrated graphics with best performance, then it's only one to consider, just for reference, it's performance is about same as with GT 1050 for instance. As it uses system RAM, it's best to get RAM in dual channel of 3200MHz.
That also means you have to use half decent MB with at least b450 chipset as those are also essential for further upgrades.
CPU part itself, with 4 cores and 8 threads, is also decent and will be good match for much stronger dedicated GPUs.

Do the brands on the power supply matter as much as the other components? I found many different options on ebay at very good prices (25-50 usd) as oppose to brand names that are 75-100 usd.

And does the b450 motherboard support 32GB of RAM? To start, I am only going to put 16gb but i like knowing i have the option to make it 32gb.

The last part that is stumping me is finding ram that will definitely be compatible with the motherboard (B450). I checked the qvl list on ASRock and could not find many of the tested ram online. I was able to find some versions of corsair RAM but im not sure if the model/version i found is the same found on the ASRock's site. Take a look at the list to see what I mean.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Steel Legend/index.asp#Memory

thank you guys so much again im learning so much

Last edited:
Do the brands on the power supply matter as much as the other components? I found many different options on ebay at very good prices (25-50 usd) as oppose to brand names that are 75-100 usd.

And does the b450 motherboard support 32GB of RAM? To start, I am only going to put 16gb but i like knowing i have the option to make it 32gb.

The last part that is stumping me is finding ram that will definitely be compatible with the motherboard (B450). I checked the qvl list on ASRock and could not find many of the tested ram online. I was able to find some versions of corsair RAM but im not sure if the model/version i found is the same found on the ASRock's site. Take a look at the list to see what I mean.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Steel Legend/index.asp#Memory

thank you guys so much again im learning so much
E-Bay PSU's for $50 are very risky, at $25 pretty much an automatic no-go.

Unless you know you have a real need for it, don't worry about 32Gb of ram on anything. Even 16Gb is 'nice' but not really necessary. You could save some monery and go with 8Gb for now but it's very hard to get high-speed kits in 2x4GB configuration.

Ram compatibility is always a discussion point. With the latest BIOS revision Ryzen will work with most QUALITY brands up to about 2666 for a Gen1 Ryzen part or 2933 for a Gen2 Ryzen part. Beyond that it's the silicon lottery because it's overclocking territory. 3200 on quality RAM is generally reliable but some tweaking is often required.

QVL's on mfr's web sites are RARELY comprehensive and even more rarely up to date. That's because RAM mfr's don't accommodatingly freeze their production configurations, RAM performance characteristics change from production lot to production lot and even AMD gets in the act and changes how the processor works with AGESA code changes in BIOS updates (generally for the better). Your best bet if you want 3200 performance is buy quality from brands like G.Skill and Corsair.

If you want some easy help picking a configuration of parts you know is compatible go to:

www.pcpartpicker.com

it has a great tool that's very helpful.