Question Best CPU for Asrock n68 vs3 fx

Aug 28, 2019
So currently my mobo is running with an fx 4100, I kind of want to upgrade but it appears due to the low tier this mobo is, it's pretty picky when it comes to CPUs. Which CPUs would you guys recommend? What is the best CPU supported by that motherboard? I did try to put fx 6300 but the mobo does not work properly with it, it boots but detects only single channel ram, I tried everything to fix it(yes, updated bios too) but it didn't work. The CPU does work properly on a higher tier am3+ mobo I tested it on so it is the mobo. Anyways, to the question, which CPU is the best one I can put on this mobo, even if it's a phenom or some of the am3 socket ones, as long as it's supported, I am open for it.

Aug 28, 2019
What is your budget for upgrading?

I really wouldn't recommend upgrading the CPU on an out-dated system as even something like the Ryzen 1200/2200G would be better then the FX/Phenom CPU's. Going Ryzen however requires a new motherboard and DDR4 memory.
While I have considered that, I don't want to spend as much because that would mean rip the 16 gigs ram, the mobo and the cpu all together and to get those for ryzen platform would mean that I'd have to invest around 220-250$ to get it going and for the ram, cpu and mobo I could probably get 60-70$ at most, that's a hefty price tag for what I am trying to accomplish, where as if I change the cpu, in my country the second hand market is strong, the 8350 goes for 40$ but I can't put it in this mobo for example. I can change to frankly the top cpu for roughly 50$ and get a payback of around 15$ from my fx 4100, that's an investment of 35$ which seems to make far more sense to me than to put over 190$ just to get a performance I don't exactly need which also happens to not be light years away from the r3 1200

Aug 28, 2019
FX 6300 is not a supported processor.

FD4320WMW4MHK (FX 4320) is supported with BIOS version P1.70 or higher.
https://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-VS3 FX/#CPU
Actually I have tried putting a 6300 but the mobo seems to be forced to run in single channel mode, while on the other pc the fx 6300 runs just fine. I was looking at the AMD Phenom CPUs that were listed as supported and I was hoping someone would throw some light on the matter because I am literally clueless as to the performance of the phenom CPUs, I do believe a quad core phenom might be better than an fx tho because fx in reality isn't really a quad core. Anyhow, was hoping someone would suggest a phenom and throw some light as to what I can expect and which one of the listed in the supported cpus would make sense.