[SOLVED] Best cpu for DCS?

bwana

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
DCS (Digital Combat Simulator) is a flight sim from Eagle Dynamics. It uses principally one core and benefits most from single core performance. Currently on a 4930K @ 4.5 ghz and am looking to upgrade. I am anticipating trying vr in the future (HP reverb 2160 x 2160 per eye). Although many use a 9900k/10900K for this sim at 5+ ghz, I am considering a 10700k with an overclock. The alternative is a new AMD 5800x or 5900x. Additional concerns are memory overclocking- I prob would go for dual rank 2x16gb @4000. Although for AMD I might keep it at 3800 and overclock the fabric to 1900.

A 10700k with a meg unify would cost less than a 5900x alone so I dont know what benefits the AMD would provide. This pc would also do some photoediting with Adobe products which in the past were intel optimized however, that may change as more cores might be better.

Solution
5900X costs more but is also faster than the 10700k. it exceeds it in single core (by a little, in some cases it might be the same, but both support overclocking, so overclocked i suspect the AMD chip will have the same amount of headroom, which is, very little.) but it also has 4 more cores.

The 5800X will be the same as the 10700k, or a little faster, and a little cheaper.
For video editing, using intel quicksync you will get much faster whatever quicksync does. I think encoding. but your gpu could also handle that I think.

For your DCS, I don't know much about it, but of it's multithreaded alright, the 5900X will be leagues above intel.
5900X costs more but is also faster than the 10700k. it exceeds it in single core (by a little, in some cases it might be the same, but both support overclocking, so overclocked i suspect the AMD chip will have the same amount of headroom, which is, very little.) but it also has 4 more cores.

The 5800X will be the same as the 10700k, or a little faster, and a little cheaper.
For video editing, using intel quicksync you will get much faster whatever quicksync does. I think encoding. but your gpu could also handle that I think.

For your DCS, I don't know much about it, but of it's multithreaded alright, the 5900X will be leagues above intel.

Solution