Question best cpu for emulation

which is the best cpu for running emulators like pcsx2 rpcs3,is it the ryzen 1700 or intel 7700k

thanks
Do you run the emulator sessions under Linux? or Windows?

I'd say the answer depends on how it uses processor resources. If the emulator is multi-threaded and working in Linux I'd think the 8cores/16 threads made available by a 1700 would rule. Especially when overclocked. I just don't know enough about the emulators to say.

If it's all trying to work on a single thread in Windows then IPC will obviously rule and the 7700K gets the nod, assuming the other 3 cores/6 threads are adequate for the inevitable background stuff always churning in Windows. And of course you'd overclock it to the max since you dropped the money on a 'K' chip.

I'd suggest you go check forums that are dedicated to the emulators to ask them if, and how effectively, they are multi-threaded.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
PS2 emulation shouldn't be much of an issue for most current CPUs. For PS3 though, I'd expect emulators to use one thread to run each of the PS3's engine instance, which means you probably want an eight cores CPU. I haven't touched emulators in years. After connecting my PS2 to my 50" TV and seeing how bad that looked two months ago though, I should probably try emulation to see how much I can enhance graphics that way,

PS2 emulation shouldn't be much of an issue for most current CPUs. For PS3 though, I'd expect emulators to use one thread to run each of the PS3's engine instance, which means you probably want an eight cores CPU. I haven't touched emulators in years. After connecting my PS2 to my 50" TV and seeing how bad that looked two months ago though, I should probably try emulation to see how much I can enhance graphics that way,

Most PS2 games can be run at higher resolutions in PCSX2 and can be made to look decent on modern displays. The major drawback to that is you wind up seeing a lot of stuff that was hidden by the low resolution eg. extreme low poly models at medium to long distances, or models being replaced by sprites past a certain distance to save on hardware resources. These tricks you could get away with on a 480i image, but become really obvious if you blow the game up to 1440p or 4K.

Gamer_X

Honorable
Dec 1, 2016
i need it mostly for rpcs3 emulation but after some more research i also found xeon processors are these any good for emulating ps3 games as the emulator requires a powerful cpu ?