[SOLVED] Best CPU for gaming and coding ?

Aug 9, 2023
Hi all

I am about to build a new PC which should allow very good coding (Visual Studio/Android Studio with multiple Emulators) and gaming performance (4K).
So I will most propably go for the RTX 4090.

For coding/emulator a minimum of 32GB DDR, maybe 64GB.

Now I am in a dilemma for choosing a CPU.
What I learned is that the AMD Ryzen X3Ds are the Go-To CPU for gaming due to the L3 Cache.

But they are worse in terms of single code max speed which would be good for coding. There a non-X3D AMD or an i9 13900K would be faster.

I guess that the most games will run very well on a 7900X anyways, even without the large L3 Cache

What are your thoughts about it, what would you choose?

Thanks

Dominik

Solution
for gaming 7800x3d hand down nothing comes close when you look at efficiency cost and performance !!
for both solid production and gaming 13900k for sure ..
my only downside with the 13900k is socket life and its not easy to cool when production work happens !!

which is why the AM5 platform is the better buy right now as 14th is going to be MEH apart from maybe the 14700k but then its dead for 15th with a new platform !!

A option is the 7900 on a am5 platform for now with the view of what the 8950x comes with save a bit of money and get into a longer platform job done !!

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
for gaming 7800x3d hand down nothing comes close when you look at efficiency cost and performance !!
for both solid production and gaming 13900k for sure ..
my only downside with the 13900k is socket life and its not easy to cool when production work happens !!

which is why the AM5 platform is the better buy right now as 14th is going to be MEH apart from maybe the 14700k but then its dead for 15th with a new platform !!

A option is the 7900 on a am5 platform for now with the view of what the 8950x comes with save a bit of money and get into a longer platform job done !!

Reactions: PEnns
Solution

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
in my opinion the AM5 is going to be the better life span socket 7900non x easy to cool cheap obviously not the best best but as a foot into the door with AM5 you will be setting your self up for a upgrade at 8000series and possibly the 9000series !!

you could even go a 7700 non x for the cheaper again option ..personally ( obviously up to you ) the less spent now and look at 8000series the more money you will have to go crazy on a 8000series !!

kinda why i spent big on my Asus rog crosshair x670e gene $969aud at the time the most id spent before was $400aud on mobo because my goal is this board till AM6 !!

Last edited:

ilukey77

Reputable
Jan 30, 2021
Pretty much any modern CPU is good enough for coding, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
do a google search best cpu for coding and a 5600x is even on the list ?? :)

im going to build a PC soon for a friends young child who is leaning coding and i was going to do a 7700x and 6800xt so options to upgrade at some point and the 6800xt will be great for gaming which he also does ..

didnt see a point to a 7900x 7950x 13900k unless he was professional coding..

in which case wouldnt thread ripper be better anyway ??

I never quite get these "best CPU for coding?" questions. It's a bit like asking "best tyres for a car?" and being given top of the range, professional motorsports-level recommendations when it turns out they're only just learning to drive.

If somebody's at a beginner/amateur level then any CPU from the last couple of decades will do.

If somebody's at an advanced level, I feel like they'd know to ask more specific questions than "what's the best CPU for coding?"

Reactions: PEnns and Flayed

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Best CPU for compiling large programs would yield very different answers, and probably wouldn't stick with consumer CPUs.

Still for a combined gaming/workstation 7950X is pretty good. Doesn't have the headache of the 7950X3D and has high clock speeds across the CPU.

13900 is a good option as well. Not necessarily the K either. The high E core count will be useful for long compiling jobs.

For all intents and purposes, any gaming capable computer is capable of coding. Sometimes all you need is notepad after all.

Do you have a budget?
You will find that at any price point, the price/performance of amd vs. intel will be similar.
Rumor has it that the 14th gen intel chips are due soon.
Early leaks show the usual incremental performance as has been done in the past.

There is not such thing as "future proofing in computing.
In two-three years or so, new gen processors will arrive along with the needed motherboards.
It will become more beneficial to change platforms at that time.

If you have a need now, buy now and plan for component upgrades like graphics cards.

As to amd vs. intel, consider your current experience.
If you are now using amd, consider amd for the build. You know how amd works.
OTOH, if you are now using Intel, plan on intel for the same reasons.

Advice given here will be tainted by the platform of the advice giver.
Me included.
Check the sigs.
Simple users do not have the experience of having used multiple current platforms.

Reactions: DominikReber
Aug 9, 2023
My budget is flexible as long as it makes sense.

@geofelt, best comment I've seen in years about advice giving, thanks, couldn't agree more.

Thank you all for your valued input, I will most propably be going for the 7950X.

Last edited: