[SOLVED] Best cpu for gaming and multitasking and recording

Solution
EDITED

What does the 3700X offer that the 3600/X doesn't? What, the extra 2 cores and 4 threads?
Geez, only a few games started hitting 8 threads - it doesn't progress THAT fast.

3700X is one of Ryzen 3000's worst cpu offerings. It tries to be a middleman, but fails HARD. It's not worth the price premium.
-Gaming? 3700X is less than 5% faster than 3600, and 3600X actually matches it. Both are significantly cheaper. Get one of the other 2 and either save your money, or put it towards a better cooler, or additional storage.

-Multitasking? Some people are too quick to dismiss the 3600/X the MOMENT somebody mentions 'multitasking, streaming, editing, recording', etc...
The 3600/X can do all that just fine.
You can game...

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
If you need my specs then here they are
Ryzen 5 1500x
Gigabyte ga-ax370mdsh Mobo
G Skill tridentz rgb 16gb ddr4-3000
Gigabyte Rx 580
1tb HDD
Corsair cx650 power supply
Msi optix mag240vc
Msi optix g24c
Samsung c24f390

If you need my specs then here they are
Ryzen 5 1500x <- (4 physical cores / 8 logical threads)
Gigabyte ga-ax370mdsh Mobo
G Skill tridentz rgb 16gb ddr4-3000
Gigabyte Rx 580
1tb HDD
Corsair cx650 power supply
Msi optix mag240vc
Msi optix g24c
Samsung c24f390

Any of the CPUs I will mention should be a very good step foward over your current R5 1500X

On the 3rd gen Ryzen, and considering the rest of your system, I would said the Ryzen 7 3700X (8 physical cores/16 logical threads)as the top choice, or as a half step up a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600X (6 physical cores / 12 logical threads; if they are really close to each other in price just grab the X model).

Any of the two will require you to update your motherboard BIOS

Others alternatives (that will also need a motherboard BIOS update) are that may be at a competitive price:
Ryzen 7 2700X (8 physical cores/16 threads).
Ryzen 5 2600 ( 6 physical cores / 12 logical threads)
Ryzen 5 1600 AF (6 physical cores / 12 logical threads), is basically a cheaper "rebranded" Ryzen 5 2600 with almost identical performance for less money. (more on that:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRO_AUdmfis
)

Cheers

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
Any of the CPUs I will mention should be a very good step foward over your current R5 1500X

On the 3rd gen Ryzen, and considering the rest of your system, I would said the Ryzen 7 3700X (8 physical cores/16 logical threads)as the top choice, or as a half step up a Ryzen 5 3600 or 3600X (6 physical cores / 12 logical threads; if they are really close to each other in price just grab the X model).

Others alternatives (that will also need a motherboard BIOS update) are that may be at a competitive price:
Ryzen 5 1600 AF (6 physical cores / 12 logical threads), is basically a cheaper "rebranded" Ryzen 5 2600 with almost identical performance for less money. (more on that:
)

Cheers
Which one that doesn't require I update my bios or will I have to regardless as I don't know what bios version I currently have so

Last edited:

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
I hear the threadripper 3990 or something like that would be the best. But I do think it is around a $2000 processor. Also you would probably need a new mobo. But without a budget it shouldn't be an issue, right?

The Threadripper 3990X is not even available yet, it will require a new motherboard and a huge... no masive cooling system and yeah I new PSU too. And its overkill for what the OP needs it.

As for OP question about BIOS, you will need to make a BIOS update unless you pick a first gen Ryzen like the one you currently have Ryzen 1xxx. But considering those are hard to come buy brand new and the cheap prices of the 2nd gen part I would not spend monye on them.

The most important part in updating the BIOS is to make sure the motherboard brand and model you have. You need to be 100% thats the model that its printed on the board, if you miss a digit or a character then you can screw it.

Once you have the motherboard brand and model there are lots of tutorials on the internet on how to update your bios. Even Gigabyte have a few out there.

Also is very important that you check the CPU support for the motherboard before you but the new CPU.

Cheers

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
The Threadripper 3990X is not even available yet, it will require a new motherboard and a huge... no masive cooling system and yeah I new PSU too. And its overkill for what the OP needs it.

As for OP question about BIOS, you will need to make a BIOS update unless you pick a first gen Ryzen like the one you currently have Ryzen 1xxx. But considering those are hard to come buy brand new and the cheap prices of the 2nd gen part I would not spend monye on them.

The most important part in updating the BIOS is to make sure the motherboard brand and model you have. You need to be 100% thats the model that its printed on the board, if you miss a digit or a character then you can screw it.

Once you have the motherboard brand and model there are lots of tutorials on the internet on how to update your bios. Even Gigabyte have a few out there.

Also is very important that you check the CPU support for the motherboard before you but the new CPU.

Cheers
I've never updated my bios before simply cause I haven't needed to so I don't really know how I feel about that even though I'm a PC nerd

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019

)

Cheers
What are the clock speeds between the ryzen 7 3700x and the ryzen 5 3600x

on B450 chipset mobos you should get 3200MHz memory working without an issue, and probably 3600MHz on most of the good motherboards out there.

On X570 chipset there lots of highest speed options, which will also depend on how well designed the mobo/BIOS is.

The max recommended speed for 3rd gen Ryzen is 3733MHz, cause thats the highest you can go while still keeping the infinity fabric clock in a 1:1 relationship.

It could go way higher, higher than 5500MHz, but is not really worth it unless youre a profesional overclocker trying to earn a first place of some ranking, or testing stuff for big manufacturer.

In short experts said the sweet spot right now is 3600MHz, and considering the current prices I have to agree.

On the B450 chipset, a decent mobo will be the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max.
On the X570 chipset a motherboard with a very nice VRM and a decent price will be the Asus Tuf Gaming X570-PLUS.
Those are only two examples, there are other decent boards too, not many, but there are some.

As for the GPU (graphic card) it all depend on the resolution you wana play, and the type of games. Spending too much money to play Rocket League at 1080p doesn't make any sense so its hard to say.

Lightningfan

Prominent
Feb 26, 2019
On the B450 chipset, a decent mobo will be the MSI B450 Tomahawk Max.
On the X570 chipset a motherboard with a very nice VRM and a decent price will be the Asus Tuf Gaming X570-PLUS.
Those are only two examples, there are other decent boards too, not many, but there are some.

As for the GPU (graphic card) it all depend on the resolution you wana play, and the type of games. Spending too much money to play Rocket League at 1080p doesn't make any sense so its hard to say.
the mobo i want to support ddr4 speeds if 3600-4000MHz and for the gpu i want to play at 144hz and 1 ms smoothly with more than 100+ fps