Best CPU for gaming on new rig (performance and value)

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
I am building a new computer and am curious which is the best CPU for gaming. I want performance but not necessarily the best of the best if it's super expensive.

I also heard something about multi-CPU's or something. What's that all about?

Timop

Distinguished
Multi-core? Thats just a CPU having multiple cores.

The "best value" gaming CPUs are Athlon X3 440 for $75 and i5 760 for $200.
However gaming is more dependent on the GPU, and there are choices that might be adequate according to your budget.

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
from what I read in the sticky guide, the I5 is still a duel core (except the 7xx series). Is the 7xx I5 series worth it for staying relavent in gaming for more 3+ years?

I heard the Phenom's run hot as well.

I am hoping to get an Intel GT 480 when they drop in price a bit also, so the CPU(s) should be compatible.

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

I see,

I do mean the GTX 480,

and I saw in the motherboard forum something about a motherboard that supports two processors at the same time.

I believe the site for the duel processor motherboard is here: http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=270-WS-W555-A1&family=Motherboard%20Family&series=Intel%205520%20Series%20Family&sw=5

Also, I really want longevity so I get at least 3 years or more doing the latest games that come out with 3D and what not.

Timop

Distinguished

You mean dual-socket on the SR2? For desktop usage its really a niche for bragging rights, as no games will use all 8/12 cores. In fact you can barely use 6cores.

An i5 is going to last you 3 years fine, especially with an OC. Uou can upgrade then. "Futureproofing" now on a long term isnt worth it, as tech gets cheaper and cheaper every year. Spending $1500 on a SR2 setup now probably will end up like skulltrail, being beat by a $300 Haswell 3 years later.

sarwar_r87

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
i think it would be best if u just give us the budget and inform us what components you want to upgrade (if u need optical drive, chasing, PSU, keyboard, etc)

also mention what the native resolution of your monitor that u have/want to get

ggsxt

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

my budge right now is $1000

but I can increase it each month so buying a few good items and a few "filler" items just until I replace those is what I am thinking.